Sign in to follow this  
gnatsum

Engine & Transmission Installation

I am working on a 69 Mach I and have a 351W with C6 ready to install. I have bolted the trans to the engine and am wondering where to attach the hoist hook. I have seen it done several ways, but wanted to know the "best" way to pick it up. Can I run some bolts into the intake manifold? Do I need a special sling or brackets? Thanks for your input.

When I did mine (and will need to do so again because they need to come out), I used the exhaust bolts on the heads to pull the engine. If I recall, I attached them at the 3rd bolt from the firewall on each side. If you have the intake manifold on, you can get a $15 plate and bolt it in place of the carb. Something like this. The one I have isn't as versatile, but bolts to a 4 barrel, square bore intake just fine.

If you use the exhaust bolt method, get a pair of disposable valve covers. The chain will bend and scratch them up. In the picture, I have a pair of 94 covers on. You need the covers to protect the rockers.

Chuck

Edited by MustangChuck

OK thanks for the tip. I'll get a load leveler since I'd rather have the transmission mounted to the engine before I drop the engine in. Where to you suggest is the best place to mount the chains for the load leveler? Exhaust manifold bolt holes? Or the intake manifold or heads accessory bolt holes?

I never bother with a load leveler. You will need to have the tranny tail drop considerably anyway. During install, once you get the combo the majority of the way in, you should have a guy underneath to guide the tranny tail into place.

I always use the carb plate mount for pulling. Don't like using bolt holes on aluminum heads.

i prefer the load leveler attached to either head bolts or intake bolts when doing just the engine. it give you the best advantage if you are working alone or have a low skilled assistant. plus you can guide it onto the motor mounts with ease and adjust as needed instead of fighting it.

Load leveler. It is not worth losing a finger, hand or your life over. I do not trust the 4 carb studs to hold the weight for that length of time, especially for an aluminum intake.

Also raise the rear of the car as high as possible it will make your life MUCH easier.

Bought a $45 load leveler sling from Pep Boys on Saturday and put the engine into the car with transmission attached. Did it by myself in an hour. I bolted the sling brackets to the front and rear sides of the heads (standard cast iron heads, not aluminum). The sling worked nicely. You can angle it up & down in order to slide the tranny into the tunnel.