Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

Traction bars?

Hey guys,

I have recently finished my car and have been driving it some. I noticed that from a dead stop or slow speeds my car wheel hops. I have new rear leaf springs and I know that traction bars will probably cure my wheel hop problem. I started this thread because I want to know what you guys are using and what works the best. I am open to new ideas but I am not wanting to go the 4 link route. I really want to find the best functioning set of traction bars to eliminate my wheel hop and improve my traction as much as possible without to many drastic changes. Right now I am running 255-60-15 BFG radials t/a on the rear and one day I may get another set of wheels to throw some drag radials on and take it to the track to see what she will do.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Drew

i purchased a set of CalTracs to install on my 69.. hope to have them installed before i die.. lol:yes: i purchased them based on forum research and after talking with a couple of guys at car shows that had the same wheel hop problem and resolved it with CalTracs.

If you have basic fabrication skills and garage tools, you can make your own set of caltracs. A few years ago the lay out diagram was posted on one of the Mustang or Ford sites. Either here or VMF, Mustang Steve our maybe Ford Muscle.

Bob

Are the caltracs worth the extra money compared to traditional traction bars?

Caltracs and you'll never have any regrets... Theres a truck in the KC,MO area named Red Dragon running Caltracs and it sticks his 1100+hp truck to the ground... street truck too on 10" wide tire!

Lookup Red Dragon on youtube

Awesome! I think I will probably go with caltracs. Was that with drag radials?

No, that was on a slick, but I know plenty of guys that are using them and going a lot faster than me on drag radials.

Do you guys know the difference between the low profile and the drag profile? There website is not very informative.

I think the low profile just doesn't have the bottom hole on the front bracket. Call them up and talk to them. They have old school customer service, where someone actually answers the phone. John Calvert himself actually answered the phone when I called with a setup question one time. Nothing like getting tech tips from a legendary drag racer.

i bought the standard set with both holes and ended up trimming them so they only have the lower profile hole (upper hole). it was a trade between seeing them hang down just a little more and better angle for the drag strip.

IMG_2123.jpg

i called them when i ordered mine... after talking with them telling them that my car was a street driver with an occasional autocross and drag strip visit with a fays2 watts link .. i ordered the low profile, one hole and also i have reverse eye leafs which required a different setup at the front leaf spring mounting point due to the leaf being so tight against the bottom of the car at the front. if i ever finish my rear brake install .. ill finish up the fays2 and caltracs install...