Sign in to follow this  
afret

Kind of a Shelby clone (part 1)

Got a lot of the stuff done but still need to get the engine together and then installed and a few other things.

IMG_1112-1_zps93bc0291.jpg

IMG_1079_zps27c7d7e3.jpg

IMG_1143_zps528acc6c.jpg

IMG_1145_zps206cc663.jpg

IMG_1153_zpsf886a6ac.jpg

IMG_1177_zps58782921.jpg

IMG_1181_zps7c8ff2a4.jpg

IMG_1289_zps7d59de42.jpg

IMG_1291_zps5ba8f40a.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsf321c75d.jpg

IMG_1286-Version2_zps39b50d51.jpg

IMG_1284_zpscd50b6ee.jpg

Edited by afret

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Got the 'glass from this place since it's not too far away and we were able to go pick the kit up. The finish was pretty nice but the end caps needed some work and the other pieces just needed a little bit of tweaking. Sure would have been nice to have some instructions with the front end parts though. LOL It was kind of a pain to figure out the grille and headlight bucket install.

http://www.stang-aholics.com/MainCategory/Fiberglass.aspx

Not sure about the wheels yet. Haven't thought about it much. Need to get the engine together and installed and will think about it then. Maybe Bogarts?

I love the white on a long car like that. So what's the engine plan then, 428? Do the quarter stripes usually run offset from the side markers? They sure look straight as can be but that seems odd.

I hear ya on the PITA with the glass, I did the Shelby decklid and end caps on my vert but kept the stock tail panel and it was not fun bringing the 2 together at all.

From what I understand the stripes on the originals have a downward slope from front to back so the rear side marker would be centered in the stripe. I've also seen photos where the section of stripe behind the rear wheel was lower than the rest of the stripe. I didn't like either one of those looks and decided to just make it straight. The front end of the stripe is pretty much fixed in location so you can't just lower the whole thing.

Yeah, jut got to get one of the 428's back together.

From what I understand the stripes on the originals have a downward slope from front to back so the rear side marker would be centered in the stripe. I've also seen photos where the section of stripe behind the rear wheel was lower than the rest of the stripe. I didn't like either one of those looks and decided to just make it straight. The front end of the stripe is pretty much fixed in location so you can't just lower the whole thing.

Yeah, jut got to get one of the 428's back together.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, I should have thought about that. I've never been close enough to inspect one personally. Seems like you made the right choice then becasue it shows that is nice and straight and if only part of it was angled that would look odd. The only other option I guess would be to just delete the rear marker like the front one.

I deleted your second thread BTW as requested.

This is a really old thread and I don't know what happened to the photos but the project was finally done and we finally got the car to the track for some test and tune sessions so far.

To recap, we started with this '69 sportsroof:

DSC_0625_zpsa3d91f02.jpg

DSC_0711_zps629a2254.jpg

And we started the conversion back in 2012 while we were still in CA:

IMG_0825_zpse6bce7d4.jpg

IMG_0930_zpsf761d843.jpg

IMG_0931_zps67575dad.jpg

IMG_0958_zps5bbb3397.jpg

IMG_1049_zpsdf64c4cc.jpg

IMG_1028_zps307c51eb.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsc00b7b03.jpg

IMG_1105_zpsf7285144.jpg

IMG_1143_zps38409ce5.jpg

IMG_1145_zps65f3a8fb.jpg

IMG_1154_zpsd1597cff.jpg

IMG_1180_zpscc41d723.jpg

IMG_1291_zps2af7f2d9.jpg

IMG_1286_zpsc87b56bf.jpg

Moved to North Idaho in the meantime and had the cars moved up there.  My red '69 didn't quite fit so we stuck my niece's Honda on there instead:

get-attachmentaspx_zps3ccc9090.jpeg

Got my Mach 1 sent separately:

IMG_2709_zps52364c1d.jpg

That is AWESOME.  Great work and nice collection of cars.  Can you provide any more details on the Shelby and Mach?

The clone is a NHRA legal stock eliminator car with a class legal 428 engine.  The photo shows it with the C7 PI aluminum intake but we have since gone back to the CJ iron intake.  It has the CJ 735 Holley and .527 lift hydraulic cam and C4 trans.  It's a new combo and the only '69 Shelby (clone) running in NHRA stock class so we're still working things out on it.

IMG_3653_zpsghro4vaj.jpg

We just finally put a roll bar back into the red '69.  It has a 482 FE using an aftermarket 427 block and a 4.25 stroke crank, small solid roller cam, Victor intake, C4 trans and 8 inch converter, 4.30 gears with a locker.

IMG_3774_zpsznyhrxen.jpg

IMG_3775_zpsf3z4vrge.jpg

What size are your rear wheels and tires? Any suspension modifications?

The wheels are 15x10" wide.  The tires are 30x9" wide.  You can't go any bigger on the slicks than that in NHRA stock class

The suspension is the typical Caltracs, mono leafs, and adjustable shocks in the rear.  The front has Moog 8306 6 cylinder springs and Strange DA shocks.