Sign in to follow this  
Tgriffin91

69 Mustang Seat Belt Question

Hi,

I bought a 1969 mustang 302 coupe project to work on in my spare time. I am located in Arizona and am having trouble finding the seat belt laws. From what I found on the internet 1969 has to have shoulder belts in the front seats, but when I looked on the ADOT website I found that the car does not even need seat belts if it is built prior to 1973. Also, I can not find a bolt or hole for the shoulder belt, which leads me to believe it did not come standard with shoulder belts.

I want to know if I need shoulder belts or if it is legal in Arizona to only have lap belts in the front.

I plan on upgrading to retractable shoulder belts eventually but for now I just want something so I can drive it around a little.

Any suggestions on brands would be nice too.

Thank you for the help!

I think the shoulder belt was standard on coupes and sportroofs in 69. There should be a threaded hole above the headliner near or just behing the back of the door opening, at least that is where it is on a sportsroof version. Should be able to feel it through the headliner. I installed mine after the headliner was installed.

I know in Texas a lap belt is all that is needed.. My coupe has a shoulder belt and lap belt.. It is attatched over the quarter window.. But my convertible has lap belt only.. No attatchement point for a shoulder belts..I would check you state laws though... they might be picky ..and require both..

Thank you both for your replies. I think to be safe I will just get both. I can not find that hole though. I know on some the hole was placed right behind the door under neath the quarter window but I did not see one there. I will have to take a better look and let you know what I find.

Thank you again.

There is a mount for the shoulder belt as I've recently fitted 3 point retractable belts front and rear to my 69 coupe. The top mount is approximately 2-3 inches back from the top corner of the side window. Its pretty hard to find with the hood liner fitted.

Many years ago, when I had my 73 coupe, I got pulled over and given a seat belt ticket because I was not wearing the shoulder belt, which is detachable from the lap belt. The officer told me since the car was equipped with it from the factory, it was required to be worn. This was in Ohio.

Flanders: Thanks you for the measurements that will help a lot as my headliner is pulled tight down and not really glued to the frame like yours. I was thinking about just replacing the whole thing, although it is basically new. Maybe I'll just peel it upp a little around there and stick my hand in. I tried feeling for it and could not find it.

Manley: I have heard this also. I've decided to go with the three points. Thank you for your input.

I never liked the sloppy look of the ’69 lap belts hanging as they do, so did not put them back in after the new headliner. Although a violation of my ‘back to stock’ code, it’s so much cleaner that way and I don’t miss them at all. And hasn’t been an issue with the boys in blue. The car is only a sunny weekend driver anyway, and here in Vancouver sunny weekends seem few and far between, to give you an idea of how little road time the car sees.

Cheers,

Tony

Pale Rider: Thanks for the link that does look like a nice product and I'm glad to see it;s been proven. My car is a coupe though so might be slight changes. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Tony: It's a shame you don't get to get out in your stang more. Come to Arizona, land of sunshine and heat! Mine is going to be a daily driver! :D