Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

Timing Cover Installation

Was looking at my new timing cover and was wondering if there is something special I need to do when installing it. Don't want it leaking after I get it all together. I was thinking bout placing a thin layer of permatex on the block and installing the gasket first, let that set up to hold the gasket in place. Then install the small oil pan gasket in the same manner. Then I was going to place a thin layer of permatex on the timing cover, both on the back and the bottom, angle the bottom of the timing cover on the oil pan and roll it in place onto the block. When I insert the bolts in the block that holds the timing cover in place, I was going to dab a small amount of permatex on the bolt threads that screw into the block. Does this sound right or am I heading for failure? I also thought about doing the same procedure when installing the water pump on the timing cover. Do you guys see any falts with my reasoning? Thanks in advance.

Your plan seems on track, But if there is no locator pins for the cover in place you will need to slide the balancer on to center the cover correctly before tightening the cover bolts or a possable leak from the crank seal could happen.

Doesn't seem like there is much room for the cover to move, But its enough to become a leak later.

The bolts are insanely different lengths and you need to keep track of which goes where. I use a cardboard template roughly the shape of the cover to push each bolt into as I take it out. Several go through in the water jacket so use pipe dope thread sealant on them.

+1 on the balancer install while bolts are loose.

Thanks Guys! I never thought about the balancer trick. I do have all the bolts in their proper place in the old timing cover. I do see that they are different lengths. Also I need to pay attention as to what bolt just attaches the timing cover, what bolt holds the water pump and where all the brackets are positioned. I was planning on using permatex on the threads of all the bolts instead of pipe dope. Would that do?

The bolts are insanely different lengths and you need to keep track of which goes where. I use a cardboard template roughly the shape of the cover to push each bolt into as I take it out. Several go through in the water jacket so use pipe dope thread sealant on them.

+1 on the balancer install while bolts are loose.

gsxrken I have a question for you. Can you give me any information on your chin spoiler/splitter? Did you fab or purchase? Thanks

I had Jake Parrot at Jakes Rod Shop in Maine make it to my taste. He has the templates and you're welcome to leverage them. It gets a lot of thumbs up, and I've had more than one person explain to me that it is not stock. ;-)

On edit-I am taking down my embarrassingly large sig pic until I can get it resized...

I had Jake Parrot at Jakes Rod Shop in Maine make it to my taste. He has the templates and you're welcome to leverage them. It gets a lot of thumbs up, and I've had more than one person explain to me that it is not stock. ;-)

On edit-I am taking down my embarrassingly large sig pic until I can get it resized...

Thanks. Your car looks great.