Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

Rims selected... now tires

So i have settled on a set of rims for my resto

American Racing BLVD chrome rims. 18x8 in the front, and 18x9 in the rear. The best backspacing rims i could find without custom ordering them.

Now what tires to throw on them! What do you guys think would be a more ideal tire on our cars (for looks and performance)

225/50/18 Front / 265/45/18 Rear

or

225/45/18 Front / 265/40/18 Rear

Edited by rchappelear

a few things to think about. How are pot holes in your area? Low profile performance tires don't "give" as much as "normal" tires, so they have increased risk of blow-outs or needing replacement. How much will the car get driven in inclement weather? I used to have a 1998 BMW M3 as a daily driver while stationed in Germany. The soft compound speed tires were great on dry, smooth pavement, but I thought that car was terrible in snow and rain. Then I was transferred to Fort Lewis, WA. and it was even more rain there. Seemed that car wanted to float over even the smallest puddle. When the tires needed replacement, I got a speed rated rain tire, and it was a night and day difference in wet weather. No more hydroplaning! Still sucked in the snow though, and they still wore down fast since they were soft compound. Performance wise, they felt the same as the tires that came on the car.

General rule is soft compound = better grip, but need replacement sooner. Hard compound doesn't grip as well, but lasts longer.

Also, do you prefer good cornering, or better straight line from a stop from a performance tire? Just some fuel for thought, and also some needed information for us to make better recommendations.

for 18x8 I wouldn't go much wider than 245, for the sake of keeping the tire within its best performing range with that size of a wheel. I also wouldn't go too small, unless you need to. These are front heavy cars and I prefer having more rubber up front, when possible. 225 is small for me (personal choice), but it also depends what you're using it for.

18x9 you could fit up to 275 and it will still work. Now, that is pushing it and some tires won't fit right, as in too big. For 18x9 I would definitely not go over your 265 choice, or under it.

Enough of that... Now your tire choices.

265/40 and 265/45 will have big sidewalls, is that what you're looking for? Typically, 18" wheels with 265 will be a 265/35/18 tire, as that is typically within a good range of the total wheel size needed. 265/40 will definitely work, just know it's going to be a beefy sidewall for 18" wheels.

I would look at each type of tire you want and look at the specs of the tire. Some have bigger sidewalls than others, some are wider/smaller than others and just looking at the diameter of the tire will help determine what size sidewall will fit inside your wheel well, comfortably.

I've got 235/45/18 on 7" rims on the front and 275/40/18 on 9.5" rims on mine. Used General G-max. Worked out very well. I used the 7" rims on the front to clear my Global West UCA's. Rear clears very well with no clearance issues, front has very slight interference at full lock with front lower part of valence, since mines not painted yet, I got rid of the issue with a pie cut and section of the valence.

so i went with the following

Front

18x8 American Racing BLVD chrome rims w/0 offset

235/45/18 BF Goodrich g-force Sport comp2 tires

Rear

18x9 American Racing BLVD chrome rims w/+30 offset

265/40/18 BF Goodrich g-force Sport comp2 tires

tough decisions all the time :)