Love the seat covers, are you installing them yourself?

I was originally going to have TMI put together green seats with white inserts. They quoted me $350 for the covers and I was going to do them myself, the foam was about $100, and another $100 in misc supplies. But I found a guy that would make the seats custom, cut the foam, and everything and it would only cost me few hundred more. So I said go for it. He worked really fast made everything in a day once he got the supplies. Now it's actually going to be 15% more now that it's done (pretty typical). But it's done.

I'm sure the seats themselves I'll have in and out a dozen times but that is just a few bolts. The upholstery is all installed though.

Not sure if there are many ppl in MN looking for seats but I'd recommend him, he did the vinyl roof too.

http://www.knishkustomz.com/

Well getting closer. Racing the snow right now. Most of the car is back together. Have had some delays getting parts. But here are a couple of photos:

DSC_7728-L.jpg

DSC_7734-L.jpg

DSC_7735-L.jpg

DSC_7744-L.jpg

List to-do's in no good order

1.) Install Radiator

2.) Fire Engine

3.) Tune Engine

4.) Install Emblems

5.) Install window motors and switches

6.) install lock servos and switches

7.) Install Door Panels

8.) Bold in seats & seat belts

9.) Take 'r in for an alignment

10.) Install Speakers

Here's hoping...

Looking good!!!

Did you ever put up that part number on those coil over shocks. Did they lift the rear up, if so how much. I didn't catch, but did you chnage the rear leafs?

I think the leafs will have to wait 18 months (maybe longer if I buy heads) or so due to budgetary constraints. I know no one around here has the same issue. The rear coil overs did bring the rear up. Once I can get it in the open I can get better side photos. We put 2 inch lowering front coils on, but everything in the front is new and stiff so I'm guessing by the end of next season the stance will change a bit.

The exact part of the coil over I can't find at the moment (again). But I do know they are Monroe Liquid filled Sense-a-trac. The guy who rebuilt my front end put them on. If I knew he was going with those I would have ponied up a bit for something a little more study. But hey - if these make it 3 seasons. That's fine. I can change them out when I do the leafs.

Looks great, I really like the color combo and details you chose to go with.

Thanks Pak. I'm just bummed that at most I might get to drive her 100 miles this year. We already got our first snow and it might still be another 2 weeks.... Painful! 25 months now... I know a lot of people have been working longer on their's but this one sat for 10 years prior to that.

MN69grande- I can feel your pain just a bit. First though, your Mustang is looking very nice. That is a fantastic shine to the paint.

The reason I feel your pain-- I bought my current project coupe in 2006. I did a few things the first year like repair and replace the factory wiring, replaced plugged radiator, and replaced the failed fuel tank sending unit. Then the car sat for the next 6+ years. Fast-forward to July 2013-- now we're well underway stripping and welding some sheet metal. Probably be six more months before it's in paint and re-assembled. So don't feel alone in your lost cruising time. Just make plans now to drive the Grande a lot next summer. :thumbup: jim

It has been 22 years since I sold my 68 j code GT Coupe & have not driven a classic Mustang since then. My current Mustang was a non-running project when I purchased it back in 2001, so I must really be going through Mustang withdrawal. :eek:

@69stanggt - Thanks for the note. I plan to drive the heck out of it next year. If I have to re-restore her again in 10 years so be it. Is that photo in your signature your current project? I was thinking silver jade for a long time and it was a hard choice between that and black jade. But really anything is better than the gold/new lime mix someone had mixed up and painted it.

@Mike65 - I've been watching your build for a long time. You guys doing all that metal work amaze me. All I've done has been engine, interior, or signing checks. Keep it up man!

Too bad winters coming I think all three us will be going crazy for spring to come. I don't mind the holidays but after that April can't come quick enough.

You will have to get a couple more miles on it before they start slinging salt. It has turned out NICE, at least you are able to make it move under it's own power.

I enjoy the building process all most as much as driving them. I've got a long ways to go, but I am enjoying every minute of de-rusting this shell.

Maby the yucky weather will hold off for a while and all of you can still get a couple of rides out of the year. Enjoy it!

@Mike65 - I've been watching your build for a long time. You guys doing all that metal work amaze me. All I've done has been engine, interior, or signing checks. Keep it up man.

Thanks, you would never know I have NEVER done metal work before this car would you.

Mike.

Last Night the car was turned over for the first time in probably 8-9 years. It wasn't started but it was turned by using the key and not by hand. Nothing jammed, nothing clanked, no weird noises. So I'll take that as a win.

Also the power windows and locks are in. Looks like it's not worth the trouble to do the power trunk though because of the way the latch works. I can live with that.

HOPEFULLY a running car next week. So now that it's like 10 degrees out I'll be ready to roll..... Let's hope for a short winter.

Hey MN69Grande--

The car in my signature is my '69 GT (yes a real GT) Sportsroof. I bought it in '86 and it was Dark Charcoal Metallic with '70 Mach 1 rocker moldings on it. The following year we disassembled and trailered to a friend at a professional auto body shop. Stripped to bare metal, epoxy primed, sandable primer, three color coats, three clear coats of acrylic urethane Ditzler Shamrock Green. I was going to go with the original Ford Silver Jade, but my friend at the shop pulled out a catalog and says, "Hey, before we shoot it the factory Silver Jade, take a look at these radiance colors." I was immediately drawn to the Shamrock Green- Ditzler Radiance II color. It's very close to factory Silver Jade, but with significantly more metallic. I've had people tell me they can see the car from 1/2 a mile away on the freeway-- and it's a good noticeable. In the sunlight the green really pops. Found an original set of Ford GT decals the following year in Hemmings Motor News. We added front and rear wings. Added rear window slats. Original M-code 351W-4V with FMX automatic. Engine has a Lunati cam and Harland Sharp full-roller rockers. I reupholstered the bucket seats. I was very pleased with the first time results- if not the actual hand challenging work with the hog rings. It's a nice driver, not a show winner. The car in the avatar is my current project. A west coast coupe I had shipped to Ohio in 2006. I'm working with another Mustang friend on the body work and stripping now. I've not learned to weld, so he's doing that and most of the skin coating to straighten it out. I've put quite a few hours behind a angle grinder with a wire wheel removing paint, rust and dirt. Working on my previously limited DA'ing skills too. We're planning on Ford Winter Blue metallic with a white vinyl top and light blue interior. The wiring was an absolute mess from PO's doing hack jobs to the wiring harnesses to hook aftermarket stuff up. It took me several weeks to diagnose and fix or replace all the problem spots. Enjoying your project progress. Looking good. What might help through the cold months is to occasionally put another coat of pure carnauba on the beautiful paint. Or maybe detail some areas around the car. Seems like there's always something that can be improved or at least cleaned or detailed. As I said-- I feel your winter pain. We are forecasted to get 6 to 12" of lake effect white stuff from Saturday night to Sunday night. Then comes all the salt, calcium and even molasses on the roads. The roads won't be decent again until late April or early May. Such is life in the rustbelt I guess. :bored:

Edited by 69stanggt
clarification

Well getting closer. Racing the snow right now. Most of the car is back together. Have had some delays getting parts. But here are a couple of photos:

DSC_7728-L.jpg

DSC_7734-L.jpg

DSC_7735-L.jpg

DSC_7744-L.jpg

List to-do's in no good order

1.) Install Radiator

2.) Fire Engine

3.) Tune Engine

4.) Install Emblems

5.) Install window motors and switches

6.) install lock servos and switches

7.) Install Door Panels

8.) Bold in seats & seat belts

9.) Take 'r in for an alignment

10.) Install Speakers

Here's hoping...

I'm digg'n your VW bus! Is it a 21 or 23 window?

Mike65-- Now that's resolve. Owning and putting a project on hold since 2001. I did some work on the coupe in 2006/2007, but then idled the project until this summer. I would say you have me beat in marathon distance/duration for sure.... :thumbup:

@Patriotgamez - The VW bus is cool, but it's not mine. Just sharing some shop space with my car. I love going over to the shop because there is something new every time. For a year they were working on a 63 Vet that was pretty cool. I also like the old Galaxy convertible.

@Mike65 - I agree with 69stanggt - great resolve and I'm impressed by all that metal work, you're right I'd personally never known you hadn't done any previously.

@69stanggt - I thought about adding some more metallic but decided not to. When the Car was primed I was also very temped to go with a Nissan whit and add some pearl. I was surprised how the coupes look pretty cool white. For my next project I want to get a 1969-73 F100/150/250/350 2wd. So maybe I'll go away from factory for that one.

Well most things are done. But we can't get it to fire from the key. Crawled under the dash today and it looks like the harness to the ignition switch is frayed. Pulled the switch and it's shot. So no biggie, but more to deal with before we can move on. Sub-Zero temps aren't helping since the garage its in isn't heated normally. Spring can't get here soon enough this year!

Anyone know if the Scott Drake Pig Tail repair kit and Ignition switches are any good. The switch is less $20 the Motocraft is $60. I'll probably just pony up for the Motocraft but it's interesting to see there is a reproduction.

I was really hoping to get this car on the road by now but no luck. After everything was together and we were finally getting power from the switch (replaced the ignition switch and pigtail, plus the cutoff switch on the transmission) we just couldn't get the motor to fire. I was worried about this for the last couple of years. I should have tore the motor down and started from scratch.

So to save time a couple months ago I bought a Ford Racing 340hp 306 crate motor with GT40 heads and an Airgap intake. thinking it would be an easy switch. But we have found a few modifications it takes to make the switch.

1.) 50oz Balanced Flexplate

2.) Different accessory bolts (threads don't match original heads)

3.) Had to switch the pan to a front Sump

4.) New Pulley system

5.) Had to pull the timing cover and install the fuel eccentric - though you could just go with an electric pump.

6.) Reroute the Fuel line

7.) Find a new place to mount the coil

So that is what we have found so far. Hope I get to drive it part of the summer. Starting to think rebuilding the original motor would have been faster.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11752

How in the hell did I miss this thread? Very nice looking car, and superb work your done. In your post #5 is that pick up chassis a 56 or so F100?

Bob

How in the hell did I miss this thread? Very nice looking car, and superb work your done. In your post #5 is that pick up chassis a 56 or so F100?

Bob

The car is actually at someone else's shop and that was a couple years ago. But I actually think it is a Second Gen frame. I think 1949 but I could be wrong. The guy is always working on ford trucks. He just did a real nice 71. 1/2 the fun of working on my car is seeing all the other stuff being done.

And as long as I'm talking about some of the other stuff he's been doing check out this 1960 Skyliner- you don't see many of these. It just won first place at MSRA show this spring.

Edited by MN69Grande

Ok only a couple years behind. Car is running. It took a crate motor and a bunch of unplanned purchases but it's running. Only thing is now we know the brake booster is shoot and the steering is squeaking a lot. SO CLOSE Click th image below to start a video.

20140905_111735-L.jpg

Edited by MN69Grande

Well,

The 69 is home. Drove it 60 miles. A ton of fun. I forgot what it's like to drive these old cars. So different than anything from today really. Brought me right back to high school. Though it is quite a bit faster and has a lot less body roll. Still tons of things left to do on it. Should hopefully be able to burn a couple tanks of gas before the snow flies. Next season will be more interesting.