Sign in to follow this  
Kaspar

Which heads and cam

I know absolutely NOTHING about engines.

I'm a danish filmmaker, but had a childhood dream of driving a '69 Mustang that came true recently when I purchased a restored '69 Coupe.

I'm very happy with it. Everything runs perfectly. I chose this one, because it's totally restored, but am still considering to get more HP and torque.

From what I've read changing the Heads and Camshaft will increase it without being too big an operation.

So my Coupe has a 302 2V engine, but there has already been made some mods:

Edelbrock CFM500 Carburator with Spacers

Tri-Y Headers

Red Eagle Transmission, Shift Kit

HEI Distributor

Suspension, Disc Brakes, Oil Pump, Drive Shaft, and a lot more not directly related to the engine.

Now if I want to purchase a new set of aluminium heads, I am looking at a set of 185cc AFR, but then some people are talking about the cheaper GT40 heads, but what is the difference?

Of course I'd like to go with the less expensive option, but would still like to get as close to 300HP as possible. Looking at Ebay, the AFR is about $1000 more expensive than the GT40, which is quite a lot.

Sorry for my ignorance, but hopefully someone can explain it to me as if I was a child.

Also which Camshaft should I choose?

I do have a mechanic friend that can do the work for me, but he doesn't know about these different options. According to him it's all about experience and community, therefor I ask here :001_unsure:

Thanks a lot in advance!

300 HP is not hard to reach with all the aftermarket stuff available now, just keep in mind the more power you make, the higher in the RPM band it will make that power. I would consider hyd roller lifters a must when maximizing a "small" engine like a 302. That will allow you to have a cam big enough to meet your goals while still being calm enough at idle where you won't mind actually driving it. Talk to a cam company and tell them what power level you're trying to achieve and they'll steer you in the right direction.

The AFR is certainly a better flowing head, but I'm sure you can hit your goal with a Gt40 head and the right cam. Only you can decide if the slightly better power curve is worth the extra money.

Of course you could always just go bigger. Either stroke it or get a 351W and you can keep the power band a little lower.

Not sure I can help you but I can tell you what I ended up doing after some research.

I've got 2 mustangs one of them is done and is a 347 with twisted wedge heads and comp cam xe274. Its a beast and is probably putting out over 400 HP.

But the other one I'm building I wanted something my daughter and wife could drive and not have to worry about it being too much for them. Wanted something more around the 300hp range and more of a budget build. I ended up buying a used 302 long block that had GT40 aluminum heads and E303 cam. I put scorpion rollers on it. I was triying to get close to the build the Ford Racing crate 306 has which is rated about 340hp. Heard good thing about the motor for the money. Unfortunately not done with car yet so I can't give you first hand experience. As far as the GT40 and E303 you will hear that there are better choices out there but it really depends on what you are looking for and money you want to spend.

Thanks for the replies.

So after reading a bit more, I think I'll go for a pair of GT40 heads, since I mostly drive around Copenhagen in it and track days are getting fewer after having small kids. Palerider, your wife-build sounds like it would fit my need (go ahead and mock me :-) . Would love to hear how it performs. So is the GT40 heads and the E303 the only thing you're upgrading?

Just had a talk with CJ Pony and they suggested:

Ford Racing GT40 Cylinder Head Turbo Swirl 64cc Chamber.

Ford Racing E303 Camshaft Hydraulic Roller.

COMP Cams Rocker Arm Kit Rail Type 1.6 Ratio.

Ford Racing Hydraulic roller lifters.

- which all comes down to a $1200 total.

I guess I need some Pushrods too, right?

Any thoughts?

I like CJ Pony suggestions. Since the cam is roller you'll need to buy either roller lifters with vertical link bars or the roller lifter conversion kit.

Yes, you'll probably need new pushrods. Buy a pushrod length checking tool first.

Don't forget that you'll also need a 4 bbl intake manifold and carb? I think the Edelbrock Performer would work fine along with a Edelbrock 650 cfm carb.

I think these guys have you steered In the right direction. Don't forget about a gasket set for the heads intake and valve covers. Reason why I say that is I know absolutely nothing about Denmark and how easy it is to get American engine parts there.

Just had a talk with CJ Pony and they suggested:

Ford Racing GT40 Cylinder Head Turbo Swirl 64cc Chamber.

Ford Racing E303 Camshaft Hydraulic Roller.

COMP Cams Rocker Arm Kit Rail Type 1.6 Ratio.

Ford Racing Hydraulic roller lifters.

- which all comes down to a $1200 total.

I guess I need some Pushrods too, right?

Any thoughts?

I ended up putting new Scorpion roller rockers, fuel pump eccentric on it (was and EFI motor)> I'm changing to front sump (pan and pickup), performer air gap and 600 edelbrock. I ended not needing pushrods stock fit fine but needed shims. they go under the pedestal and are used when you adjust rockers. May not need them but they are cheap. Good time to paint engine I did that last nite. I used Eastwood Ceramic engine paint. can use rattle can also.

100_1044_zps68bc5fa4.jpg

Edited by PaleRider

Now if I want to purchase a new set of aluminium heads, I am looking at a set of 185cc AFR, but then some people are talking about the cheaper GT40 heads, but what is the difference?

Of course I'd like to go with the less expensive option, but would still like to get as close to 300HP as possible. Looking at Ebay, the AFR is about $1000 more expensive than the GT40, which is quite a lot.

I think that the AFR 185 heads are too much for a 302 unless it is a screamer. Between Edelbrock RPM heads and the GT40s, the Edelbrocks are probably the better heads and should cost about the same as the Ford heads.

Edelbrock makes a top end kit for the 302 that takes the guess work out of it all. It includes the heads, intake, cam, lifters, and gaskets.

One kit makes 321 hp/337 ft lbs torque ($1500 from Summit) http://summitracing.com/search?keyword=edl%202027&dds=1 and it is less than the cost of just the AFR heads. If all you are looking for is 300 hp, you are there with this kit

and the other makes 367 hp/340 ft lbs torque. for $2100 http://summitracing.com/parts/edl-2091

Wow. Your engine looks great, Palerider.

Thanks about the kit-info, BigDuke. I think I will go for one of those!

Are there any studies on the fuel consumption after the upgrade to alu heads?

Thanks,

Kaspar

Edited by Kaspar

Are there any studies on the fuel consumption after the upgrade to alu heads?

Thanks,

Kaspar

the more power you make, the more gas you burn. There are so many variables (transmission, cam, carb, rear end ratio, tires, how "heavy" your foot is), that it is almost impossible to say how much gas you will burn with a particular combo. You can get the 367 hp kit and baby it with slow acceleration and gradual stops for most of the time, and then stomp on the accelerator for that once a week thrill. as for me, my car goes through a tank of gas every 2 hours of highway driving at 120 km/hr