Sign in to follow this  
sixt9stang

Finally working on my engine.

So roughly 7 years ago or so I ruined the cam in my 302 when I was moving my car to my house. I had been trying to get my roller rockers adjusted good the night before and thought I had it ready. I think what happened was that one of my lifters had bled down and then when I got on it all of a sudden it pumped up and I ended up rounding a lobe off the cam. I finally got around to pulling the engine the other night and got it on the stand. Pulled the oil pan off and started looking at everything. I had pulled the cam awhile ago.

Anyways attached are a couple of picks. Just looking for some advice as to how to proceed.

Should I just throw in a new cam, lifters, probably the proper springs, and get myself an adjustable pushrod to make sure everything is good? Or should I pull some of the bearings to make sure they are ok? One of the pics is a cam bearing. Does it look like they need to be replaced?

Sorry for all the questions. Let me know if you have any questions for me.

You already have it this far apart, seems it would be a shame to put it back together and risk having to pull everything again. If you wiped a cam lobe, there will be particles all over the place just waiting to ruin your day. That metal had to go somewhere. You can cut your oil filter open and see some of the particles usually. Take the whole motor apart and do it right. That will save much time and hassle later IMO.

You can spend all day trying to get shortcuts working, but doing it the right way first saves time in the long run. (LOL, I sound like my dad!)

Best Regards,

Jeff

Tear it down and at least tank it or clean it the best you can..metal will kill bearings and the motor..it is not to much work to inspect the crank ..just might be a simple rebuild..or could be distroyed..( crank and such) open it up if you can..

I was thinking the same thing. Do all the bearings. I will have to find my paperwork, can't remember all the specs that are for the crank. I think it was turned .10 under or something like that.

Then it will be time to decide on which cam I want to go with this time. The cam that got ruined was the Edelbroch performer to go with the Performer intake. It was pretty good for the street. At least I thought so. Might go with something different this next time though as I would like to start getting into some racing. With some parts from 69gmachine possibly. :)

Took the engine further apart last night. Everything was looking great until I got to the last two cylinders. Attached are pictures of the rod bearings and the crank. Sorry, it is really hard to get good pics of the crank.

What do you guys think? Is the crank shot? Or should I still be able to use it? The damage is not terrible but I can catch my finger nail on it.

To me it looks like something must have been there when I assembled the engine the first time.

So.. I am picking up a 302 from a 95 Mustang this weekend. The guy doesn't know much about it. He bought the car and parted it out I guess and only has the motor left. He said it turns over but might need a rebuild.

Should I use the block and crank from the newer motor and have the motor bored 30 over to fit my pistons so that I can run roller lifters? Or should I just use the crank and the rest of my parts?

By the way, getting the engine for $100. :)

Picked up the 95 5.0 and started ripping into it last night. Also started looking at cam kits for it and holy crap, they are just as spendy as the retrofit kits for my old block.

One question I have is does the water pump rotation just depend on which timing cover I use?