Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

Oppinions on non power rack....

Im trying to plan a next winter project or two to do to the stang. It is a PS car originally, and the previous owner gave me the rebuilt cylinder and rebuilt pump. So now its non power and with the weight of the engine, its a bear at parking lot speed. But I have to admit I am really liking the cleanliness and simplicity under the hood.

So - considering non power rack - like TCP. Would this be any easier to steer than what I have now??? Anybody on here have non power TCP and can chime in? If its just a little easier than what I have now, Id probably be ok with that and stay non power.

Thanks!

Edited by jwscarab

Well Ive been reading a little on the electric steering. I kinda like the idea - its growing on me. Has anybody else on here tried this mod?? I really like the engine bay w/o ps.

Id still love to hear from some guys with manual r&p - is it any easier to steer than non power oem??

Also, steering boxes - are non power boxes different than power boxes? Id like a tighter box - maybe less turns end to end while Im at it.

I drove a customer's 65 convertable with a Flaming River rack that was manual. The car had 17 x 8 front rims with a 235-40-17 tire, and a 289. I liked the way it felt, even sitting still it wasn't too hard to turn, and going down the road it was a little light, but ok. It needed a bump steer kit, and it would have been great. The turning radius was less than I had thought. The owner didn't roll the fender lip on the front, and that tire combo hit the fender (pearl white, which should have been rolled) which there was no help for. I couldn't get it to go to full lock without killing the fender. I am shure the TCP being a center steer design will be even better, and the fact it takes the place of the center support on the car will set it higher. The Flaming River was the lowest part of the car, and looked out of place. TCP might be more money, but would get my vote. If you get one, let us know the good/bad/ugly about them

I have a flaming river R & P M/S and steers just fine. really like the way it feels. There was a little bump steer until I lowered it 1 1/2". Thought it would telegraph more, but actually got better. Back when I bought mine F/R was much cheaper than the rest, now I think that they are close in price and would consider other units that mount a little higher. That being said I believe any M/S R&P unit will not replace P/S, but come close considering tire size.