Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

What Rack and Pinion

So i want to do a rack and pinion set up on my mustang and have been torn between a few mfg.

TCP manual rack (cannot afford to send $3000k on a power). I like the slim design, quality of parts, knowing my long tub headers will fit.

Flaming River power. i like the set up and pricing of the power setup really close to the TCP manual for my budget. It is power though!

Randall's power rack. Bigger bulkier but affordable as heck. Haven't really read too many negative comments. Dunno about the header clearance and is bulky

Unisteer Power Rack. Same as the Randall's ... read some people say your really limited on the header clearance though

what are your guys opinions on the subject

I tried the Randall rack and was not happy. I bought it used and it had issues blowing out the hard lines on the rack itself. I called Randell and was not pleased by his stand-offish reply he gave me. I never called him again. Two things to consider with a Randells rack:

All the magazine articles seem to skip how much turning raduis you will loose.

Although he uses a 94 era Cavalier rack, it is modified and you can't just replace it with a new one from the auto store.

My two cents.

Jim

I love my TCP manual rack. The steering is high effort in parking situations but it's no big deal to me. I'm running 245/45 tires in the front which doesn't help. The road feel is outstanding.

I totally agree!

The differences in frame width and lower control arm CC distance dictate a difference in the mounting and centerlink design, and the lower volume produced mean the cost per item to manufacture increases.

Having designed and manufactured small volume custom parts, I can tell you that the manufacturer makes a significant investment in both time and money to develop new parts and there is no guarantee they will ever get their money back. For the small contingent of Falcon owners who are willing to modify their ride instead of restore it I'm sure TCP is just trying to recover their investment. If volume picks up, they would probably lower the cost.

I designed a rack and pinion for my car that uses an off the shelf GM J-car rack that I hope to be able to start marketing next year. I would love to be able to market it to the widest audience possible, but I would have to spend more time and money developing unique pieces for every different model like the Falcons, Fairlanes and Mavericks. Right now it just isn't worth it to me. I'm glad there are companies that are willing to make stuff just for the love of the hobby.

I have a randalls rack, and it has no problem with long tube headers. The turning radius is a bit worse, but that is only noticeable during parking in tight spots, and that is never an issue with me.

I have heard Randall can be difficult to work with, unless you are spending money. It also used to be that all parts you need were not included in his kits. You had to also by the inner tie rod extensions, but that might not be true any longer. He changed the design 2 years ago and made it simpler, so maybe those are included not.

Installing it was easy, and I use my factory power steering pump. It was time consuming because I had to pull off my steering column and cut and inch off the base of it. Randalls requires you do this, others might not require this? It is a good thing to ask about. It added about 8 hours and 6 beers to do that mod. Probably would have only added 3 hours if it wasn't for those 6 beers.

I designed a rack and pinion for my car that uses an off the shelf GM J-car rack that I hope to be able to start marketing next year.

Does it suffer from the same increase in steering radius like standard J-car racks have

Does it suffer from the same increase in steering radius like standard J-car racks have

It would if you use the stock spindle. I designed a rear steer arm for the Wilwood Prospindle that is adjustable. I have it set at 5.25" (the shortest setting) so I have a turn rate and radius that's as tight as a modern Mustang. With wide front tires (P275) it's almost impossible to turn the wheel without power steering when going slow.

Edited by 69gmachine
added power steering comment.

i had the randall rack and used to be more or less happy, until it started to leak after only 2-3 years (less then 2000 miles).

i was trying to buy a replacement seal from randall for more then one year.

then i kicked it out.

tcp and flaming river claim they have stock turning radius.

IMO modifying the production rack is just asking for trouble. I use an unmodified rack that is easily replaced (feel free to comment Jim). It also helps keep costs down by not having to design and manufacture new parts.

I don't know exactly how many miles are on mine, but I'd say around 7k. I've driven it at open track events, cross country cruises and autocross with no problems so far. The only leak I've had was traced to a loose hose connection. Tightened it up and problem solved.

Yes, I can vouch for the ease in replacing a J-car style rack with Larry's rack set-up. I just had to do this recently. It had nothing to do with the rack set-up. It was more of my fault for buying a really cheap reman. one. It is nice knowing though that if I have an issue I can go to NAPA and get one in a half a day.

I have started a write up of my installation. I just need to get off my butt and finish the text and post it.

Jim

I'v been useing a Unisteer Power rack since april, the installation was very clean, but steering column needed 1" cut off so column had to be removed, I ended up trying hooker headers, dougs headers and hedman long tube headers the rack never was the problem with clearance. The headers always leaned against the frame rail. Ended up with shorty headers, Anyway the overall effect of the rack is nice and smooth, But turning radius greatly affected, and power steering pump makes alot of noise.

IMO modifying the production rack is just asking for trouble. I use an unmodified rack that is easily replaced (feel free to comment Jim). It also helps keep costs down by not having to design and manufacture new parts.

I don't know exactly how many miles are on mine, but I'd say around 7k. I've driven it at open track events, cross country cruises and autocross with no problems so far. The only leak I've had was traced to a loose hose connection. Tightened it up and problem solved.

Larry good to see you around again, is your rack conversion parts something you are considering producing a kit to sale?

Hello Ted,

Yes, I've even debated about whether or not to sell the suspension separately from the steering. Selling them separately will allow customers to upgrade in stages, but they were designed to go together and you will not realize the full benefit of the Wilwood spindle unless you also address the steering.

I made a small run of mounting brackets and sold a pair of them to Jim to get him on the road, but I only had 2 prototype centerlinks. One is on Jim's car the other is on mine. I had to quit working on the car business for the past year to work on my house. Next summer I hope to resume the car adventure. Thanks for asking.

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling

Hey guys, just came across this thread today while checking on one of our customer's builds. It's nice to see so much good feedback on our rack systems! I'm not going to clog this thread with endless propaganda so here's a few quick points.

-Our rack will work with almost any header. The only header we know to not fit is the Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4" long tube.

-Our rack has the same amount of travel as the stock steering, 6-3/8".

-Built completely in house, we even cut our own gears.

-Includes all the requisite steering shafts, u-joints, mounts, and hardware.

-Works with stock inner and outer tie-rods.

CLICK HERE to download a detailed Data Sheet on our rack system. We put a lot of effort into our document library so everyone can learn about or products. When faced with a lack of info when we are looking to buy something most of our minds automatically assume the best. We don't want you to assume; we want you to read!