Sign in to follow this  
Midlife

Howdy, I'm Midlife

Apparently, many of you here know of me, because I keep getting referrals for wiring harness refurbishments. I'm not here to hawk my products, but I can answer almost any electrical question these old beasts have. I may even have some of my own questions for you from time to time.

At any rate, I'm Midlife, aka Randy Jacobson, owner of Midlife Harness Restorations. The '69 model is the most popular harness to work on, accounting for 35% of all vintage Mustang years. Number 2 year in popularity is the 1970. I figured I might as well join the forum specializing in the most popular year Mustang, eh?

Randy

http://midlife66.com/harnesses

Apparently, many of you here know of me, because I keep getting referrals for wiring harness refurbishments. I'm not here to hawk my products, but I can answer almost any electrical question these old beasts have. I may even have some of my own questions for you from time to time.

At any rate, I'm Midlife, aka Randy Jacobson, owner of Midlife Harness Restorations. The '69 model is the most popular harness to work on, accounting for 35% of all vintage Mustang years. Number 2 year in popularity is the 1970. I figured I might as well join the forum specializing in the most popular year Mustang, eh?

Randy

http://midlife66.com/harnesses

Hi Randy, Welcome aboard. :1eye::beta1::red_indian::alucard:

you guys be nice to midlife! he's got a curse he can send you over the net if you don't...:eek:

If they only knew Steve, If they only knew. :boat::eek::devil::gunsmilie:

Welcome to the forum. Now if you can convince the car magazines and parts suppliers that the 69 is the most common, followed by the 70. Most car rags think 65 to 68. Then miraculously the new generation.

I had to get that off my chest. Thank you for providing us car junkies a place to update wiring. Don't want my ride to go up in smoke.

Randy, welcome to 69Stang.com

I'm one of Randy's customers. I got a harness from him for my 70. It was everything he promised it would be. I also got a nice wiring chart from Randy for a 70 harness. Randy's customer service is second to none. I would not hesitate to buy from Randy again.

Wow...such nice words from everyone. (You'll each be getting the $20 bill I promised in the mail soon, so keep watching the mailbox!)

I've got miscellaneous connectors, small sub-harnesses, and other stuff if you need it.

Junior2561: I'd love to help you and your harness out. PM me when you're ready to send it in.

Welcome, I may need some advice on how to deal with my headlight wiring when I get there.

I also bought a repro ignition wiring harness because of the (unnecessary) cuts that were in my original someone made to add a lead for the electric choke on the carburetor. If you could use the original I can send it to you.

Welcome Randy. Can you put together custom harnesses?

I have a heavily modified cougar XR-7 underdash harness that I originally bought because it had a tach and a lot of cool options such as the door ajar circuit (I ran the door ajar signal to the "OIL" idiot light). I also tied the parking brake to the existing "BRAKE SYSTEM" idiot light so I can actually get some use from it. The problem is I had to splice all the wires to the gauge cluster in order to reach and with all the splices it's a PITA to make everything fit with the AC ducts in place.

I recently sent my tach out to be converted to a 3 wire so I no longer need the factory underdash tach harness. However, I still want to retain the "ALT" light as I find this actually useful. So I was thinking about modifying a non-tach underdash harness to mate with the tach headlight harness.

Any thoughts? Interested in a project like this?

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling

Welcome, I may need some advice on how to deal with my headlight wiring when I get there.

I also bought a repro ignition wiring harness because of the (unnecessary) cuts that were in my original someone made to add a lead for the electric choke on the carburetor. If you could use the original I can send it to you.

Yes, please do!

Welcome Randy. Can you put together custom harnesses?

I have a heavily modified cougar XR-7 underdash harness that I originally bought because it had a tach and a lot of cool options such as the door ajar circuit (I ran the door ajar signal to the "OIL" idiot light). I also tied the parking brake to the existing "BRAKE SYSTEM" idiot light so I can actually get some use from it. The problem is I had to splice all the wires to the gauge cluster in order to reach and with all the splices it's a PITA to make everything fit with the AC ducts in place.

I recently sent my tach out to be converted to a 3 wire so I no longer need the factory underdash tach harness. However, I still want to retain the "ALT" light as I find this actually useful. So I was thinking about modifying a non-tach underdash harness to mate with the tach headlight harness.

Any thoughts? Interested in a project like this?

Ouch. I once converted a 1969 Cougar harness to Mustang, and I vowed never to do that again, as there is so much that is different, including connectors. As for your harness, you have to stick with the factory configuration (either tach or non-tach), due to the constraints of the circuit cards on the back. There is no alt light with a standard dash...

Sellerrodshop wants to blame his shed burning down on me...I swear, I was with someone else's wife at the time! *G*

I would have given you the wife if you had left the shed out of it. a good shed is hard to replace!! :blink:

got a local guy with a 64.5 that I've been trying to push in your direction for a dash harness.

Ouch. I once converted a 1969 Cougar harness to Mustang, and I vowed never to do that again, as there is so much that is different, including connectors. As for your harness, you have to stick with the factory configuration (either tach or non-tach), due to the constraints of the circuit cards on the back. There is no alt light with a standard dash...

I plan to keep the factory tach gauge cluster so I need to add the wiring from the fuse panel up to the dash to complete the circuit to make the light functional. I figure modifying a non-tach harness to add a couple of circuits has to be easier than modifying a Cougar under dash harness!

Welcome, it's always great to have folks like you here that provide real value and service to our hobby. Lord knows the gremlins in these cars have attacked every one of our electrical systems at one time or another.

I plan to keep the factory tach gauge cluster so I need to add the wiring from the fuse panel up to the dash to complete the circuit to make the light functional. I figure modifying a non-tach harness to add a couple of circuits has to be easier than modifying a Cougar under dash harness!

OK...that I can do (and have done several times in the past).