Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

70 Mustang steering column trim questions....

I am closing out the underside of my steering column and cant seem to figure out if I am missing a piece? This is the part that joins the lower cover with the bottom of the instrument panel. I have poured over the Osborne guides, the service manuals and the MPC (yes, painful) and I couldn't see any real details for this assembly of parts.

This is what the equivalent part would look like on a Cougar. Its the darker front piece, not the cover itself as that is different and uniquely Cougar.

69colgrom.jpg

And what I think may be it here, but I need confirmation. If this is the part does anyone have one to sell or know if its being repopped? And while we're on the subject, what is the slot in the lower cover for?

$T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRpcJBRO0wOFlCw~~60_1.JPG

Edited by miketyler

That would be great. So this part is rubber with a groove and an offset that aligns the lower cover with bottom of gauge cluster? I don't see how it holds them together unless its a friction fit. Then there's the wrap around sleeve; it snaps in and rests against this "grommet" I take it?

Edited by miketyler
added pics

IIRC those items in the pictures in your first post are not used on the 70 mustang. I believe the 69 cars used a rubber piece, but not in 70. I could definitely be wrong though! Below is what the plastic trim looks like:

DA164-B.jpgsw11.jpg

None of my cars had any kind of rubber around the column (not to say it wasn't missing on both!). I believe mine had the little clips but am unsure what they do.

I do not know how the trim is supported other than the two screws on the bottom of the dash. As you can see, the first couple pics appear to not have any support at the top and is kind of flopping as can be seen with the gap. The last couple have a nice tight fit.

The tab was broken on both of my cars' lower column trim, an indication that maybe it didn't have any top support other than the column plastic sleeve holding it somewhat in place.

More research appears maybe the 69 panels had tabs, although the tabs aren't offset from the face of the trim panel. This means that in order for the tabs to slide under the instrument cluster panel, your column trim panel will not be flush with the cluster panel due to the tab having to tuck under.

Pics below:

$(KGrHqV,!lMFCRfGQMjYBQlDsT8k+Q~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Mustang-or-Shelby-lower-steering-column-shield-/130872243514?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7897f53a&vxp=mtr

It appears some aftermarket 1970 panels had the tabs added, although they were not like this from the factory.

3022-523-703.jpg

http://www.restorationperformance.com/servlet/the-107197/70-Mustang--fdsh--Cougar%2C/Detail

STW-201_1.jpg

http://www.mustangpartshouse.com/steering-wheel/trim/INT-070-522-1970-ABS-steering-column-cover.html

Thanks for all the detective work Jeremy. It sure seems like they could have figured out a way to close out that area a little better. Clearly then that ring is a 69 only as the 70 would be too large in dia. My cover had a broken lug but I bonded it back on but it wants to gap open. Mine has the two spring clips, maybe I'll buy another one to see if it closes up any better. So what is that long slotted hole for in the bottom of the cover?

No problem. I'm thinking the spring clips push the trim away from the dash and against the round plastic column cover....to keep it from flopping around. I could be wrong though, I've had that trim panel off my car ever since I bought it.

I wonder if that long slotted hole helps get to that round plastic column cover metal clip? Been awhile since I've had that off too, but that is a long strip of metal that holds the joint in the column cover closed. You install it after the cover is over the column, and the steering wheel is in the way if you put the metal strip in from the top. I think you install it from the bottom and you stick a screwdriver up in this slot to push the metal strip all the way onto the round column cover. Just a thought, like I said these two items are something I've not messed with in quite some time.

Isnt that clip further up the column in the middle of the sleeve? I thought there were tabs on it where it goes on to the underside of the column first, then you slide the sleeve over it, snap in place then slide up towards the wheel. I need to relook at that I guess.