Sign in to follow this  
MustangGT

Pics of Dakota Digital VHX guages

I think they are more for the mod crowd I guess. I do like what DD is doing with their analog products and the illuminated needles. Strangely I cannot find one pic of the VHX set in a 69-70 Mustang. If you go with them you should post pics.

vhx3.jpg

Vhx series is fairly new. They look like regular analog sweep style gauges but with digital internals. I'm not a fan of their original gauges though. I like seeing the needles move. Here's a link to the VHX gauges.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=791/category_id=671/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd791.htm

Those look pretty cool. Too bad they dont have any of them where the gauges are backlit with white rather than red or blue.

The VHX apparently have illuminated faces and needles like modern cars. These are pretty unique, unlike the earlier style with digital display style. These have step motors with controllers. Pretty techy stuff. I kindve like carbon fiber or graphite with blue backlit lighting.

I also like the carbon face with blue backlight. Just want to see them installed. On a side note I E-mailed VHX directly to see if there is any chance of a price drop in the near future. They wrote back saying that since they are the manufacture they can't sell them any cheaper than MSRP of $795. So if I get them it will have to be from a re-seller.

I did pull the trigger -- will post some pics. The install is relatively painless - except cutting/splicing into the dash harness made me cringe. Also, deciding where to mount the "black box" was a brain twister. Ended up mounting it behind the dash on the left hand side using velcro.

Bringing this back to "the top", since it has been a while.

Has anyone had them installed yet?

I am about ready to "pull the trigger!"

BT

I've debated but I'm stuck between these and new vintage usa gauges.

New Vintage's has the OEM look while these have the modern "pro touring look" but of course, I believe the Vintage's are more expensive.

GREAT!!

I ordered mine today. I also ordered the new VLC (Analog) clock instead of the VLC (Digital) clock to go along with the VHX system.

Going with the carbon and blue...I think that is what you were considering.

Looking forward to seeing your installed photographs!

BT

Carbon Blue is what I got -- got them from RPC. Was the best price, 717.25, I could find when I ordered them. I skipped the digital clock since I thought it looked too modern. I would have jumped all over the new analog looking clock - but rebuilt a stock one instead. Maybe some day but for now I am very happy with the look and functionality of the gauges. Will try and get pics this weekend.

Yes, that is the same place that I am sourcing mine from...RPC.

I paid a bit more at $717.95 with free shipping. I actually ordered the Silver Face with Blue Display. Clock is satin alloy with Blue Display. The clock was $142.00.

Really looking forward to seeing your photographs.

BT

I have the 67 series New Vintage in my 70 fastback.

I had a few issues getting everything running correctly, and Mark sent replacement gauges to make sure i was happy.

The mounting system works OK, but is awkward to get the gauges sitting centred and aligned.

The indicator Halo effect is hard to see during the day and the guages are hard to read in my car because of reflection on the glass lense's in the gauges.

The fuel guage also swings up and down with the movement of the fuel, not sure how to overcome that one.

I have not checked with Mark to see if that is just the way it works.

One other minor issue is my car runs about 190-195 Deg most of the time, which is over the halfway mark on the scale.

Not an issue really, but the first glance always looks like the car is running hot due to the scale that is used.

I will post pics next time I take the car out.

Sorry for the delay.

Here are a few pics - one with Key on and Key off and close up of speedo and rpm.

They install super easy - lining up perfectly into the old mounts. The speedo & RPM gauge is a single unit.

very nice!

I know it's been a while since this thread has been active, but Phoenix Tuning is running a "tax season" sale from now until the 15th of April that is 5% off of your order.

http://www.phoenix-tuning.com/servlet/StoreFront

I just placed my order for a set of the VHX gauges in Black Alloy. With the 5% discount, the final price with shipping was $718. Pretty good deal considering most other websites are charging close to $800.

Looking forward to getting this setup. My current factory gauges do not have a tach and this is by far the best option out there. I will be glad to get rid of the cheap looking tach add-on that is strapped to my steering column.