Sign in to follow this  
fortuna

How to maximize gas mileage with 1969 Mustang with 200 inline 6?

Hello guys, new member here. I recently got a 1969 Ford Mustang coupe with a 200 inline 6 engine and 3 speed manual transmission. It's in great condition, has had regular maintenance and has just recently had a tuneup/oilchange. However, everything is stock on it with no modifications and currently I am getting around 12-18mpg with a mix of city and highway driving.

I would really like to make this my daily driver now and am prepared to invest money to make this happen. What can I do to improve gas mileage and make this more practical to drive daily? I would prefer to do this without swapping out a new engine or transmission.

Well, the transmission is the big thing. The three speed is really inefficient in it's gear ratios, or lack of them. Carb in good working order, synthetic fluids, a Pertronix Ignitor instead of your points, efficient and properly inflated tires would be a couple of other considerations.