Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

TKO 600 or?

Looks like a Flintstonemobile! :lol:

Dropping and moving the motor to the rear will mean you'll need a custom engine crossmember, see my previous thread regarding my crossmember build. I can customize my CAD file if you can get me the dimensions I mention in the thread.

Also something to note when moving the motor back, I found that the A/C hose from the compressor to the condenser prohibits how much you can move the motor back. There is less than 1" slack on that hose. I have to get a custom hose made now. I assume you won't have A/C though.

I got one of the TKO600s when they first came out. I have never liked it. Supposedly, for another $700 or so Liberty Transmissions addresses the shortcomings. I really think I'll just go with a T56 Magnum soon.

My complaints: It regularly won't go into the next gear if I'm over 6000 RPM- no grinding, it just blocks you out like hitting a wall. It's notchy; going into any gear you can definitely feel the neutral click and then the gear click. And the .64 overdrive was the wrong call for me (this is not the fault of the TKO obviously). I track the car and on a decent straight, 4th gear at 6000 RPM with my gears and tire diameter tops out at around 125MPH. Dumping the car into the .64 overdrive 5th gear cuts the RPMs nearly in half and kills torque multiplication too. I need that optional .82 roadrace gear in the TKO (or the 5th gear in a T56.) The .64 is a great highway gas, engine, and sanity saver but is too much of a gap from the the 1:1 4th for me. This is where the T56 shines... .80 5th AND .62 6th for best of both worlds. Big $$$, but I hope to sell my TKO and bellhousing to knock some of it down.

I also had to whack my tunnel to get the right angles. I could not achieve the stock angles with the conversion crossmember, so I had to make my own to hold the trans higher. I was not going to flirt with a driveline vibration or steeper angles on my u-joints with the way I use the car.

I also could not drop the engine further. I have the TCP power rack which installs where the original engine cross member was, and it was already just about touching my Canton road race pan. YMMV

cuttunnel.jpg

I have the TKO600 from Keisler, but mine is behind a 428. The previous owner did the install and told me he made no mods to the tunnel or crossmember. Im not sure if the motor is lowered - it has solid motor mounts. I believe it is stock height tho.

I have no issue with it at all, love the way it shifts. I have not tried to shift it above 4500 so I am not sure about high rpm shifts.

I have the TKO600 from Keisler, but mine is behind a 428. The previous owner did the install and told me he made no mods to the tunnel or crossmember. Im not sure if the motor is lowered - it has solid motor mounts. I believe it is stock height tho.

I have no issue with it at all, love the way it shifts. I have not tried to shift it above 4500 so I am not sure about high rpm shifts.

would you be able to take pics and post em on here?

Sure, I'd be glad to. It may be a few days before I get her jacked up so please give me a little time. And not sure how much we will see on the top but I will try to get some good shots. Here is a motor mount pic if anybody can tell if its lowered.

Sure, I'd be glad to. It may be a few days before I get her jacked up so please give me a little time. And not sure how much we will see on the top but I will try to get some good shots. Here is a motor mount pic if anybody can tell if its lowered.

those are Ron Morris mounts. More than likely they installed the 1/2" drop.

those are Ron Morris mounts. More than likely they installed the 1/2" drop.

Oh - ok! Thanks Buckeye! Well that may explain why he said he do no mods to the tunnel. I'll still get pics asap - got company coming soon (Mothers Day).

IMO, those look like TCP mounts. The Ron Morris Mounts should have the slider grove visible.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rmp&Product_Code=6110

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/support/mm/MM-FD-01_AT.jpg

I don't know if you can get problems with the pinion angle if the engine is too low. Doubt it.

IMO, those look like TCP mounts. The Ron Morris Mounts should have the slider grove visible.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rmp&Product_Code=6110

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/support/mm/MM-FD-01_AT.jpg

I don't know if you can get problems with the pinion angle if the engine is too low. Doubt it.

good correction. thank you.

I installed a TKO600 in my 69 coupe with no modifications to the tunnel.

I used Ron Morris lowering engine mounts, and Modern Drivelines Rear trans mount. I actually had about 3/4 inch clearance, so I made a bunch of shims out of 1/4 steel plate, and placed them between the rear trans mount and the shock isolator. I pushed the trans up to the very top of the tunnel, have maybe 1/4 inch clearance now. Now issues at all with fitment.

The modern Driveline rear mount comes down very low. They specifically designed it that way.

On the earlier years, you do have to cut the mount.

As far as shifting goes, I shift it all the time a full throttle and 5000-5500 rpm and never had an issue. The detents in the shifter are tight, but they loosen up after the shifter breaks in.

Never measured the drive line angle, but it looks good visually. And I dont have any vibrations so I am not worried about it at all.

302 with mild cam and Edelbrock performer rpm heads and intake.

I do recommend to thoroughly calculate your gear ratios for the overdrive. I bought the standard .64 overdrive. I really wish very much that I had the "Road Race" .82 ration instead. Until I change my rear end gearing, 5th gear is almost useless. 1800rpm at 80 mph. Its under such a load that I get about half the mileage in 5th then i do in 4th.

Latoracing,

I have a 2.79 open differential right now. I have considered swapping the .82 in also. I actually like 1st through 4th with the 2.79 so I would much rather put a .82 in there instead. 60 MPH in 4th gear is right at 2200 which is perfect.

My rear main seal is starting to leak. If it gets bad enough to need to replace it ill pull the motor and trans and most likely change the overdrive ratio.

so which trans ratio is good for me?

debating either 3:55's or 3:70's Im running 275/45/18 tires.

I've got 275/40/18's on mine. Started out with 4.33's and it was too much gear for my big block. 1st gear was useless unless I wanted to pull my house off it's foundation.

So I over reacted and put in 3.50's. Now my .64 fifth gear is useless until about 65mph.

I am going to put in 3.89's now, kind of splitting the difference.

I'm in a similar situation as rwcstang. I currently have a 351W with a C4 and a 3.25 rear end. I like the gear ratios of the C4, but I'm looking for something with an overdrive for better drivability on the highway.

I noticed that there are a couple of different gear options between the TKO 500 & 600- 3.27 or 2.87 for 1st and several options for 5th from 0.64 to 0.82.

Is there anyone who has a similar setup that has any recommendations?

I have a TKO500 with 3.50 rear end. 275/40/17 tires. My gear ratios are really great for street use. First gear isn't too tall and 5th is usable ~ 55 to 60+. I would think 3.25 gears with the TKO500 would be a good street combination.

I'm in a similar situation as rwcstang. I currently have a 351W with a C4 and a 3.25 rear end. I like the gear ratios of the C4, but I'm looking for something with an overdrive for better drivability on the highway.

I noticed that there are a couple of different gear options between the TKO 500 & 600- 3.27 or 2.87 for 1st and several options for 5th from 0.64 to 0.82.

Is there anyone who has a similar setup that has any recommendations?

a Friend of mine gave me his t5z that had a 11 sec passes in his 357w he went to back to automatic. but thats just for safe keeping and I'll probably install it in my dad's 68 convertible.

I like the TKO's just cuz they handle the power BUT shifting is garbage! too notchy for my taste. its 50/50 chance you'll get a nice shifting tko500/600. I still want a 5 speed that's compact and shifts like butter. Hence, the only thing I have been waiting patiently for is the Mcloed m-800 transmission. But I don't think they'll release it anytime soon...

Unfortunately I haven't herd any news on this transmission, I've looked everywhere but it seems that project is at a stand still and not budging anytime soon.

I herd about liberty, but people still say there was no change and the price is too much for nothing being done. I can't afford a t56, even a used one here in CA people try to sell them to the highest bidder in car forums which I'm not going to pay 1k+ for a used or broken transmission.

Most likely I'll take my chance and opt for the t5z for now until the 800 comes out. I love my performance auto street fighter c4 but the high rpms are going to get annoying and put more wear on the new motor.

I'm not going to pay 1k+ for a used or broken transmission.

I think you'll have issues finding a transmission complete with bellhousing sub $1k (non-TKO) that has reasonable power handling capability. I don't consider a T5 to handle reasonable power in stock form, and modifications to beef them up will approach what a used T56 or TKO could have cost. I've heard the McLeod M-800 trans is supposed to have an MSRP of over $2k. Keisler also has a new manual trans out RS400/500, but people are already breaking the ears off due to a 4-bolt bellhousing mount. I've heard it shifts like butter!

The t56 is obtainable sub $1k through corral.net classifieds with patience (bought mine for $800 with 30k miles), but you'll fork over another $450 on a bellhousing to adapt to a SBF. It is one smooth shifting trans though. You