Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

TKO 600 or?

has anyone done this install?

anything need to be done as modifying wise? I know there are some build threads here but I have yet to see anyone talk about the drivability, I herd good and bad things (2-3rd shifts, Hard shifts). does anyone have this type of problem? are the TKO's that bad?

is it better just to go with a different type of transmission like the Astro T5?

this trans is going behind a 392w stroker.

honestly I cannot find the 3550's in my area, I want a tko but after looking after forum after forum, I noticed lot of ppl are unhappy with them. which makes me really think twice.

if I go with a t5 it would probably be astro, but even so thats alot of mula for a t5.

The 3550 is actually the earlier version of the TKO 500/600. They're almost identical. I have a TKO which is the forerunner to the TKO 500/600. Some people claim you can run them without any transmission tunnel modifications. I have dropped motor mounts and I still had to notch my trans tunnel crossmember. I've heard the complaints about the TKO series transmissions not shifting well at high RPM's. I haven't had an issue with mine.

I consider the addition of the TKO600 to my ride the best mod I have done. I have had zero issues with mine as well, the more miles I put on the better it seems to shift. Drag racers have had some trouble shifting them at high RPM (6000 and over) but for me this is a non-issue.

I consider the addition of the TKO600 to my ride the best mod I have done. I have had zero issues with mine as well, the more miles I put on the better it seems to shift. Drag racers have had some trouble shifting them at high RPM (6000 and over) but for me this is a non-issue.

what about spirited driving? do you still have to some one slam the gears?

did you have to notch your cross member aswell?

Put a TKO 600 in mine (70 vert). The only thing I did was notched the crossmember, don't know if its because of the 8qt pan or not, everything else lined right up the shifter was dead on in the hole front to back and about 1/2" to the right. I also used the adj. mounts, but I think it ended up at the stock height, because when I put the fan shroud on I had even depth and spacing all around the fan.

As far as driveability, haven't driven it yet. But from what I read doing research there more like a older toploader, not as smooth as a modern trans. If that makes sense.....

Put a TKO 600 in mine (70 vert). The only thing I did was notched the crossmember, don't know if its because of the 8qt pan or not, everything else lined right up the shifter was dead on in the hole front to back and about 1/2" to the right. I also used the adj. mounts, but I think it ended up at the stock height, because when I put the fan shroud on I had even depth and spacing all around the fan.

As far as driveability, haven't driven it yet. But from what I read doing research there more like a older toploader, not as smooth as a modern trans. If that makes sense.....

yeah, when you guys say Notch the cross member, are u saying cut it up or are you using a bfh?

I had to raise the trans tunnel in mine to get proper driveline angles, but I am running a 460 in mine. My TKO 600 doesn't shift so great, however it seems to be getting better the more I drive it. I would suggest getting an upgraded one from Liberty if you are going to do it. Wished I had.

if i were you i would avoid the t5 until you know that you aren't putting out too much power i am going with a tremec 3550 out of a '95 cobra to put behind my 408c and they are really cheap and can take alot of abuse

from what i've seen, the 3550 is only good for another 50# of torque over the t5 i already have,(95GT). i'm looking for a stronger trans. and have passed up a few 3550's thinking they wouldn't be strong enough. thought the were only good for 350# of torque, is this right?

I modified the top cover of the trans rather than modify the tunnel. Mine was an early 3550 that I converted to a TKO 600 by swapping the tailshaft as well as all the gears.

In order to instal the trans I have to install the shifter base first and then assemble the guts once it's in place.

I do have trouble hitting the 2-3 upshift, and because I have an early TKO tailshaft housing I'm very limited in shifter availablity as it has a different mount pattern than the later TKO 600s. When it was new I had a hard time getting in reverse, but eventually it started going in without a problem.

If I had the money to go with a T56 6 speed, I think I would do that.

I am fixing to mock up my drive line to see how much modifications there will be in order to put a TKO-600 in my car. I have a one pc. floor pan and I really don't want to be cutting on it if I don't have to. I do know that a 9.5 deck windsor compaired to a 8.2 will change the way the drive line angles are in the car, due to the 9.5 having a higher crank CL. I have also tried to read as much info around the net on after market trans, and the pros. and cons. involved with each. Keisler does offer a "perfect fit" line of trans., which would be cool. I would like to test drive one of their trans. before purchacing one though, lots of decisions, quite a large investment for any of them new. We'll see how the mockup turns out...

Sorry I didn't take any when I did.

oh okay thanks anyways.

Any more Tko users out there that would like to share their input?

Im still undecided but Im leaning with Bruce @ Moderndriveline he seems to calm my nerves about the sifts and what not. he says i wouldnt have to notch anything BUT every car is different.

Im not sure if I should invest in 5speed conversion or get a Coil over Conversion from SOT

RWC, I cut and welded mine also just added a photo to my photobucket, (can't get the size right to post here). Not the greatest work but it did the job.

I got the conversion kit (C-4 to TKO) from Bruce at Moderndriveline also.

from what i've seen, the 3550 is only good for another 50# of torque over the t5 i already have,(95GT). i'm looking for a stronger trans. and have passed up a few 3550's thinking they wouldn't be strong enough. thought the were only good for 350# of torque, is this right?

i chose the 3550 because my friend has a 760ft# foxbody that he swapped from a t5 to a 3550 and it has been 10 months and on a drag strip and is still fine

any chance you have pictures?

boxed the remaining crossmember by adding metal and welding solid to the floor. i also had to cut a slit into the trunnel, beat it up and reweld. i didn't need to cut this much out. i dropped the engine 1/2"

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

You can avoid notching the tunnel crossmember if you drop the motor more than 1/2". That is the path I took with my T56 conversion and didn't have to notch anything. It does open other cans of worms like having to fab a new engine crossmember and then dealing with header/steering clearances.

Its been awhile, but for every 1/2" you drop you reduce the tailshaft angle roughly 0.75°. I went with 1" drop on my car, so i was able to reduce my tailshaft angle by 1.5° roughly. I think it was close to 5° using stock mounts.

There is nothing wrong with the Astro T5 eluded to in the first post, as long as it has the upgrades. Plenty of capacity for just about anything you can build, plus it fits better:

http://www.astroperformance.com/advanced_search_result.php?manufacturers_id=29&categories_id=100&subcategories_id=303&inc_subcat=1&osCsid=eff87546a110b9a0697f908e5818d839&x=20&y=23

Seems like a better way to me. Is there some advantage to the TKO that justifies the fitment issues?

I posted this in my build file also, but here is my attempt at a TKO install. I will be dropping my motor, and sliding it back a little, so all kinds of stuff will have to be fixed. Big Can o' Worms. Drive line angles are just like every one said, with stock mounts, 5.5 deg. with the trans all most touching. It is a tight fit, but it is alot easier to do with out a floor. Trimming the brace lets you see what will hit, if someone decides to install one of these

IMG_20130506_155427_zps55115fc4.jpg

I went ahead and fixed my massive hole with some 3/16" plate, not quite as strong as the stamped part, but a little more clearance, and it will be just fine.

IMG_20130506_181847_zpsb6fb2ae2.jpg

I'll be making new motor mounts, as well as a tranny cross member. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

:punk: