Sign in to follow this  
Sidthing

Rear brakes on a 9 in.

Is there more than one drum brake shoe size for a 69 9in? My car was originally a 2v 351 car and since I put bigger disks up front I figured I could just rebuild the rear drums to stock. I took the rear brakes apart years ago to have the housing acid dipped and the center section rebuild, and all the brake parts found their way into a larger pile of brake parts from different cars. The parts stores wants to know what carb the car has but doesn't specify whether their shoes are for a 8in, or if there where different size shoes for 9in's, other than the larger shoes are no longer available. What size do I need?

I'm not a drum brake guy, but me thinks the shoes should match the drums. Do you still have the drums? I love all the questions part store folks ask, after about 5 of there questions I'll tell them, and it's got a 15 lb radiator cap.

I believe there were 2 different drum and shoes sizes. I know when I had my CJ they asked a lot of questions. Not sure, if they were asking about carb size, if the larger drums started with the 351 4V, or maybe the HD suspension package or something. If the backing plates were the same, I would just upgrade to the 428 size.

Hi, Sidthing. I believe there are two sizes for a car with a 9 inch rear. When I was ready to rebuild mine I ordered 10 x 1.75 Shoes which is what CJ's said were correct for a 351 2bbl car. When I disassembles the brakes I discovered that my car had 10 x 2's on it. For what it's worth, CJ's also said that the front shoes should be 10 x 2.25 for the fronts but mine were 10 x 2.50. So IMHO it could take either size depending what was available when your car went through the assembly line. If you still have the Drums, just measure the diameter and depth and order the shoes accordingly. Hopes this helps.

I upgraded to 11"x2.5" rear drums on my 428 Mach1 figuring they would complement the factory disc brakes. I'm not on the road yet so I can't give any reports. But believe it or not they fit inside of the factory 14" wheels. I believe these same sized drum assemblies were used on full sized Fords as well. The kit is MP Brakes #DR1504K. B

Edited by LindenBruce

You will either have 28 spline axles or 31 spline. The housing doesn't matter. Most of the rear ends were small bearing anyway even with the 31 spline axles. I know my 31 spline 428CJ factory rear end was a small bearing unit. And as far as I can tell it was indigenous to the car. Currie also offers the larger rear brake assemblies all brand new if a person has a brand preference. B

Edited by LindenBruce