Sign in to follow this  
Burkett70

69 Mustang Color Help

I can't help but wonder if the dealer would have any records still or maybe at least the original buyer on file. Las Vegas DMV might even help with that for a price. I find it odd that the order type is listed as stock and not special but maybe this dealer knew a certain combo would sell quick in Vegas. If you want to bring it back to original then it would be a shame not to know 100% for sure what color it really was, I really don't think the Aqua is it.

I still say remove one of the door strikers! My car had been painted 3 times when I got it and yet many places revealed the original lime gold once I had the whole thing disassembled. The entire panel behind the backseat for example (but mine is a convertible), behind the door strikers, behind the side scoops, behind the quarter panel extensions, places like that which were originally installed after paint and usually left on during a repaint.

I think it is cool to have that special order color. Also, because it is a hardtop it has a chance to be a special run mustang. Special runs meaning rainbow of color or possibly a "fleet" run run (more than one of the same) cars. I dont know if someone back then would have paid the extra money special color for a hard top car. DOnt know how people thought back then about the hardtops by 1969 but I think that there is a reason that this car exist. WOuld be nice if you can find anything. I see some of the special orders withen a few hundred of other rainbow of color cars. Please keep us informed on what you find out. I'll keep looking to see what I can find.

that is awesome on the marti report... the person that purchased my car simply did not like the fastback and wanted a coupe ... so she ordered all the things she liked on the coupe.. and a vinyl top was one of them.... under my vinyl top.. besides the rust, was the same body color.

you could get whatever you wanted back in the day... cool stuff!

and a vinyl top was one of them.... under my vinyl top.. besides the rust, was the same body color.

That's exactly the point that Armond was trying to make and I was trying to back up, intended vinyl top or not they would never leave it red oxide primer, it would have been painted along with the rest of the body so that red color is most likely the original.

Does that have metallic in it? It sort of looks like Vintage Burgandy, code X in 67. Have you decided what color you are going to paint it? Did you find the build sheet to the car? I'm not sure if it was mentioned. It will tell you the paint number at the bottom remarks section. Looks like a solid car.

Edited by Armond

I would take Armond up on his offer and send him a small part so he can compare it to his Fleet color book. I spent quite a bit of time searching the net to identify that color and came up EMPTY.

Fleet codes

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?model=Fleet&manuf=Ford&rows=50

"WT" special paint codes

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?comm=WT&button=Search&sort=wtcode

Edited by chillininnh

Build sheet may not have color on it either. With the special color cars, was hard to figure out what color if someone took all color off. My suggestion to doccument the car as you take it apart. Take some paint chips and pictures. looks at that link of colors and try to figure out what color it was. That being said, you could paint that car ANY non mustang color made that year and you would be good to go. But make sure you document everything before you do it for resale reasons. So cool of a find IMO. I think there are a few on the site that look kinda like it but I really cannot tell by picture.

48 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hey guys have a 1969 fastback that I'm getting ready to restore. Trying to figure out original color. Door code reads 25 any help would be great thanks

New lime with blackout hood

newlime.jpg

51 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hey guys have a 1969 fastback that I'm getting ready to restore. Trying to figure out original color. Door code reads 25 any help would be great thanks

According to PPG color chart for 1969 Mustang, 2 letter or number paint code is for 2 tone combination; in your case lower color is new lime (code 2), upper is sage brown (code 5).

On 3/23/2013 at 7:56 PM, Burkett70 said:

I have a 69 2 door coupe with a blank color code, all the research that I've done indicates it was a special order paint. This means it was not a mustang color but another Ford color. Take a look at the photo and let me know??? I've got a Marti Report on order, but from what I'm being told me exterior color will be unknown.

So what non-Mustang Ford color is it?

Thanks

the only special order colors i have seen on a mustang were all from a t bird.