Sign in to follow this  
Burkett70

69 Mustang Color Help

I have a 69 2 door coupe with a blank color code, all the research that I've done indicates it was a special order paint. This means it was not a mustang color but another Ford color. Take a look at the photo and let me know??? I've got a Marti Report on order, but from what I'm being told me exterior color will be unknown.

So what non-Mustang Ford color is it?

Thanks

I have a 1969 paint chip page for Mustang Fairlane Thunderbird and Falcon. From the picture I can't tell if it's more green or more blue. If it's more Green then I think it would be paint code U Tahoe Turquoise IRID (T-Bird only) according to the paint chip page. If it's more blue then most likely paint code Q Brittany Blue IRID (except mustang) according to the page that I have.

I see what looks to be a dark red color under that green. Clearly that green color is a respray. The inside of your doors appear a dark red. If you get the eminger report from marti, Dearborn plant only. it will sometimes have the paint code number, but not always. The marti report Kevin works up most of the time will not have the number. You need to find someone who has the 1969 Special Order fleet color book to match it up. I have one but you'd have to send me a part with the original color on it. I'd be glad to help if you want.

@ Armond--The red under the doors is the factory primer, not a respray.

@ Dennyb68--After looking at some cars in Tahoe Turquoise I think that is a match, was color metallic? What does the IRID stand for?

Thanks to all who are posting.

Take off your deck lid latch catch and see what is underneath. The color I see on those doors and the scratch's in the green paint in the trunk is not red oxide. The green/teal color I see sprayed everywhere, if from the factory would be sprayed on the inside of the doors also, not like the door panel was taped off. The color looks like a dark red. I'd pop off the back window moldings and the vinyl roof moldings and I am sure you'll see what the original color is regardless of what color it is. The original color is there I am sure. Good luck with what ever you do.

Armond pulled off the vinyl top months ago and it is the same red/maroon primer on the doors & in the floor pan.

Then that is the original color of the car. Was your car a white interior car? It looks to have been a white top. The white with any red would look nice. Good luck with it.

I'd like to see a pic of the floor pans, the red oxide is usually more of a brownish color than red and most vinyl tops weren't added (unless specified and built that way) until after the car was painted and the roof found to be imperfect. I just don't think the factory would bother to paint the roof and doors in just primer and spray the actual color around it all, you don't usually mask off parts that are not going to show in the end.

I suggest you remove one of the door striker posts. Very few people bother to remove these when repainting a car unfortunately, sometimes they don't even mask it and it becomes body color instead of staying natural. I wouldn't be surprised if once removed you find that red color underneath. No way they would leave that tiny area in primer at the factory. If they did remove it prior to painting than so much for that idea but looking at the overspray on your trunk latch I doubt they did.

Got my Marti Report today and it states "Special Paint, Ford # unknown". I also got some data on the red oxide primer used by the San Jose plant and that was that it could very from almost orange to mud in color. Apparently in 69 & 70 it was common to use leftover paints in the primer, saving a few pennies.

It also says it was ordered with a white vinyl top....

Edited by Burkett70

Years ago my buddy had a 69 coupe with a special paint code. Forgive my lack of memory, but I seem to recall the paint code being 6 digits or maybe the the order district? I can't remember for sure, but, my biggest point is that Marti did not know what the color was. I sent him a door hinge bolt with the paint color on it. It wasn't the best sample, but it was the best I could find on what was left of the car. Turned out the car was 1 of 100 ordered by a dealer or something in Cincinnati painted a T-bird yellow color.

As I was saying, marti report should not have the color of the car on it. Marti uses the numbers in the ford database to build his reports. Thats why the top of the report the have the 0-9 repeating either 70 or 80 digits. Your car is coded in that box. But they did not code the special paint cars b/c the paint codes are different between the lines. Some can be identified with the DSO if it is a special paint run series like rainbow of colors or other DSO specific runs. But this is not always.

Look at the vehicle order image with those numbers, you will see all the info of the car. Digit 15 is color digit. I think on special order colors it is blank or a non color code. Those crazy numbers are your car! vin number, trim, dso and ect.