Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Tips on body alignment?

I started to put some parts back on my 69 fb (doors and fenders) but I cant get the damn doors to line up AT ALL! the gap between the door and quarter is fine, the main problem on the driver side is where the door meats the rocker, the door is out further about a half inch from the rocker. The passenger side is horrible, everything it out of line. Are suggestions here? Can you use shims on the doors? Say put a shim on the top door hinge to push the bottom in some?

There are 2 adjustment points. One between the hinge and the pillar, the other between the hinge and the door.

It sounds like you need to loosen the bolts that hold the hinge to the door and adjust it in or out as needed.

Were any body panels replaced?

Tim

There are 2 adjustment points. One between the hinge and the pillar, the other between the hinge and the door.

It sounds like you need to loosen the bolts that hold the hinge to the door and adjust it in or out as needed.

Were any body panels replaced?

Tim

The adjustment on the hinge to door is already adjusted all the way in so I cant get the bottom of the door to go in any further that way. Yes Both doors were re-skinned, original door frames just the outer skin was replaced.

Sometimes the way to get the bottom to go in is to pull the top out ... there is also quite a bit of adjustment available on fenders, they can be moved in and out to align with the door as well, within reason. Sometimes a little brute force is required, too.

Top shelf body/paint shops often spend big-time hours on gaps, welding on rods (or grinding as appropriate) and then skimming filler across both panels and long-boarding surfaces til they look flawless. . Not saying you're at that point yet, but if no amount of fiddling works, you may have to get the hammer and dolly out and go to town, especially if any of the body is repo. Just what it takes to get right.

As you depicted in your post, I think you should firstly check that there are 2 adjustment points one is between the hinge and pillar and the other one is between the hinge and the door. So just see whether there is a need to loosen the bolts?? If there is, then do it only according to they actually needed!! I think this would definitely help you!!

Odd that it lines up w your 1/4 ? Worst case,, Enlarge the outer side of the hinge holes ever so slightly by 3/8s,,that will allow the door to pull in more,but keep your eye on the line up w the quarter.If it Still doesn't sit rite you'll have to massage it with a wood block.Sometimes new skins need a little persuading!!