Sign in to follow this  
390mach1

First 1969 Mustang

So I picked up my first 1969 last week and I'm excited and scared at the same time. It's a 1969 390 Mach 1, the car is pretty stripped I got it from a guy who lost interest. I'm excited to start this project but scared to get sucked in and spend way to much money! My dad has a 1969 Boss 302 that he's had for 34 years and a 67 fastback that he just finishing. He's had it for 4 years now. Please share your restore stories and hints.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site, and congrats on the Mustang. I guess it's too late to advise you to buy the best condition car you can :) Forget about the money and time thing, because it'll cost you plenty of both. FE's will cost more than a small block, but less than a CJ or Boss, but you probably know that. Mine's been down since circa 1998 because of 2 divorces, a marriage, 5 moves (not in that order). Did end up back at my original house which has my self built 900 sf shop. If you're scared, look thru some build threads. Many guys have tackled some pretty in-depth rust jobs and succeeded. They sure have bigger balls than me.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Welcome, as stated above do not get caught up with worring about the money. I have had my car since late 2001 & I am still doing sheet metal repairs, 4 moves & 1 failed business venture. Just like RPM, life got in the way. I just keep plugging away at it, each day I have some free time I do a little bit to the car & it will eventually be ready for paint.

Mike.

Focus on that one car until it's done. I've been on and off with mine for just under 15 years. I've never driven it and have 20k wrapped up in it. If I hadn't bought 16 other projects in that time it would have been done years ago.

First congrats on the new project. Don't be scared of it at all. As RPM said if you are planing to build the motor, the FE stuff is way more expensive to build up than a windsor based motor, but fun to have at the same time. For the rest of teh car, I would do some looking around at the projects on the site and figure out what you want to do with it.

I tackled on big thing at a time. Suspension, motor, brakes, etc as to not have too many things going on at once. Some certainly took longer than others, but it is getting close to where I want it.

Good luck and keep posting updates and any questions. This is a great site for info.

Hey thanks, the car isn't rusty just apart. I'm not really sure if I should just put it to stock or make it into a pro touring car.

Just my opinion, but before you start doing anything, order a Marti report on the car to find out what it came with originally, and how "rare" it is. If it was something that is special, then I'd probably do a resto.

My car was originally turquoise with a stock 302 with a C4. When I bought it, the car had been painted 3 different colors, front seats were passenger seats on both sides, and had a well built 351 stroker with a C6. For me, it didn't make sense in taking it back to original. Would have cost more than it would have been worth to do. So I decided to do it the way I'd like to drive it.

I got the Marti report back and got to say that's pretty cool along with a new door tag. But it does have me thinking about going stock color (candy apple red). I haven't done much with the car. Waiting tell the swap meet April 5/6 in Ohio to find some nice used parts.

I got the Marti report back and got to say that's pretty cool along with a new door tag. But it does have me thinking about going stock color (candy apple red). I haven't done much with the car. Waiting tell the swap meet April 5/6 in Ohio to find some nice used parts.

Was the car originally a Mach and was it built with the 390? Also what were the original trans and brakes?

Adrian.

I get out that way quite often. I have a daugter that lives S of K'zoo and a friend that lives in GR

Sounds like you've got something interesting to work with given the original equip and color..

Yeah I'm looking forward to the build pics will come soon. I'm trying to sell my 1985 Mustang Gt Pro Street car first for funding. My dad has a 1967 Mustang fastback, and a 1969 Mustang Boss 302 so were a ford family!