Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Flush mounting Tailights

I don't know if this is just a mock up so far or what but I think using regular clear plexiglass might be illegal no matter how much red tint you throw on it. You really need to have something with refracting angles on the inside like an original lens, like say on a panel from a drop ceiling fluorescent light for example.

We have had a few interesting versions of this done by a couple people on the forum over the years, the most intricate of which had a special jig built to bend the lenses and heat set into shape.

Found a link referencing the Blackened 69' Stang that Foose shaved the tail lights on and that thread had a link I found previously referencing the guy I was thinking of that made the jig, might have some helpful info for ya.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11110

I don't know if this is just a mock up so far or what but I think using regular clear plexiglass might be illegal no matter how much red tint you throw on it. You really need to have something with refracting angles on the inside like an original lens, like say on a panel from a drop ceiling fluorescent light for example.

legal? its a classic car thats never gonna need inspection so it shouldnt be an issue. If so I pop them out and put stockers back.

thanks for the link to other guys build. Its crazy how used parts of the stock taillights and trim ring. Came out really nice but im looking for something more flush with no trim rings.

I guess Jersey laws are different, in just about all of New England any old car has to at least pass a basic safety inspection, if it's registered it has to be inspected. Even without that for sure if a cop was even just a few cars behind and saw those brake lights come on full strength like search beams with no refracting he would probably pull you over, just saying FWIW.

The biggest risk in replacing DOT-approved lights with non-approved lights is being automatically "at fault" if you're ever rear-ended, or having your insurance company deny a claim. Just make sure you do a good job, don't feed the lawyers...

legal? its a classic car thats never gonna need inspection so it shouldnt be an issue. If so I pop them out and put stockers back.

thanks for the link to other guys build. Its crazy how used parts of the stock taillights and trim ring. Came out really nice but im looking for something more flush with no trim rings.

I've seen other pics of the rear lights of that car and it appears that the rear lights are completely flat and actually sit behind the tail light panel. I've never seen it in person. It's kinda odd.

I guess Jersey laws are different, in just about all of New England any old car has to at least pass a basic safety inspection, if it's registered it has to be inspected. Even without that for sure if a cop was even just a few cars behind and saw those brake lights come on full strength like search beams with no refracting he would probably pull you over, just saying FWIW.

I plan on using nightshade to darken lights so hopefully thatll help with brightness. Ill have to see how bright they are when I finish two more lenses. Ill do a side by side comparison of mine vs the factory to see how much brighter they could be