Kaspar

Original bell alarm

Hey Guys

I'm looking for a replacement part for my 69, that no one seems to know of.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but maybe you can help?

In the right headlight bucket there is a small key lock that is connected/wired to a huge bell, sitting on the inner right side of the motor (under the hood).

It's an old alarm that connects to the doors, hood and truck and rings really loud (like a fire-bell), if turned on.

Have you ever heard of this system?

It's original from 69, but I've lost the key and want to replace the key cylinder.

Thanks!

Okay, thanks. The old owner (who had had it since his late grand father bought it back in '69) said it was original, but I guess he's mistaken.

Any idea of where to buy an electric lock cylinder? My local locksmith couldn't help.

I've attached a photo of the backside of the bucket...

It's connected to the hood, trunk and doors, so if the key is turned on and someone tries to open hood, trunk or doors the bell goes off, sounding just like you local fire station.

Thankfully it was turned off before I lost the key :ohmy:

I've attached a photo of the bell under the hood.

Definitely sounds like an aftermarket alarm system. If it was original, it could have been dealer installed. Apparently dealers would do all sorts of extra things back in the day to secure the sale.

It definitely doesn't LOOK like an aftermarket system, though. It looks more like a home-brewed piece using a firehouse bell! Interesting.

Chuck

I'm trying to imagine what the key lock looks like from the outside of the car in the headlight bucket, I can't imagine it's really hidden or looks that attractive that you would want to keep it so badly. From the backside picture though I'd imagine if you can loosen that nut looking retaining ring and disconnect the wires that the cylinder would just slide out. Somehwere on the cylinder should be 3 or 4 numbers, these numbers would be the pin heights required on the correct key, you could then go to any place that cuts keys and try a bunch of small key blanks to see if you find one with the right cylinder channels in it, if you got lucky they could then cut it using the numbers instead of from the actual key.

Once you have it removed a locksmith may also be of more help, with the cylinder in hand they may be able to remove the tumbler and reset all new pin heights to an existing key or get the pin heights from it if the numbers are not listed on the cylinder somewhere to have a new key cut.

Other options once removed is to go some place with a lot of electronic doo-dads like say Radio shack and look for some type of electronic locking mechanism you can swap in or if all else fails simply re-wire it to a toggle switch some place on the car out of site that you can easily access.

If it were me though I'd just gut it and put in a modern alarm system if your ultimate goal is protecting it rather than restoring it as an odd curiosity.

I would only keep it because it's odd and I thought it was original.

I never really used it, just had kept it, because I thought it was fun.

I'll try to dismount it and see if some locksmith can help. If not, I'll just let it be, 'cause it's quite discreet and I'm not gonna change the bucket.

Thanks for clarifying that it's not original. I've never heard of anyone that knew about it, so it might be worth something in 100 years time.

Here are some photos of it, for the outside.