chillininnh

turning fresh air vents into speaker pods

I don't know about other big block owners but I need the fresh air vents functional. My engine gets so hot in the summer that the fresh air is needed. Otherwise I would be considering it

I just dynamatted my fire wall and installed vintage air. Vintage air is amazing! Sure it takes up room and horse but I can't live without it. My only issue now is my kick panel vents blowing hot air from my engine. My 351w engine runs super hot

So do people use the fresh air vents? I never had - ended up only blowing hot air for me most of the time (LA traffic) 

I'm really leaning towards doing this speaker install - I'm assuming i'll need to take out the factory vent housing/inner tube(?) and mount the speaker to it outside the car, then try and tuck it back in? 

Not sure why you would get hot air from the engine blowing in....the air is outside air coming in thru the cowl vents.

likely from the hot air bouncing off the asphalt when you're going 2 mph on a 10 lane freeway. 

anyway - cracking a window has been good enough so far

I just threw 6.5" speakers in there - should have gone with 6" more likely 

some notes from my experience -

remove vents

- right side - need to remove the  vacuum booster to get it out

- left side - need to remove ebrake to get it out

putting in speakers

- removed the levers (had to pop out rivets) 

- I had to dremel out some excess plastic bits to get the speakers to fit

- stick acoustic rubber stuff all over it

- screwed them into the vent housing before i put them in

putting vents with speakers in

- left side, pretty easy

- right side, took a while - they only go in at certain angles. 

putting hardware back

- !!!! left side ebrake would be ontop of speaker rubber - had to float it out 1/2" using washers to give clearance

- !!! Plastic covers will also need to be modified with my speakers - will need to cut out "vents" and will be using speaker grills instead

havne't listened to them yet except for radio static to check to make sure  they're connected  - but they're not as loud as rear 6x9's 

My approach was similar.  I took out my vent housings, and cleaned them up. Then cut the vent cable, and used Dynamat on the outside and inside of the housing.  Then took a sheet metal screw and locked the damper shut, and coated that side with undercoating.   I cut 1/2 birch plywood in the shape of the vent housing, and cut an opening to fit my 5-1/4 Kicker speakers.   Painted them, and put a 5-1/4 boom mat backing in the housing and put it all together. Ran the speaker wire out of a 1/2 inch grommet I installed in the side.

The kick panels were a little tough, because of the 1/2 plywood, I cut the vent ribs out, and used 8" diameter 2-piece speaker grills.   So, it is all ready to go back in my car, which is headed to the Rotisserie shortly.

post-45109-0-19490100-1456529676.jpgpost-45109-0-22345500-1456529677.jpgpost-45109-0-27218700-1456529678.jpgpost-45109-0-29232200-1456529679.jpgpost-45109-0-30540900-1456529680.jpgpost-45109-0-29670100-1456529681.jpg

I decided that I needed the kick panel vents to be functional so I made two speakers that are located inside the dash. Not an easy task but it worked well enough for me.  I bought a  4" downspout tube (black) and the end caps.  I cut the tube to a reasonable length to fit a 4" speaker.  I drilled a small hole for 12 gauge wires to exit the side of the tube.  I used IC100 Focal integrated 4" coax speakers.  These speakers have metal flanges that can be bent over the tube edge and fixed with small screws.  I sealed the speaker metal frame to the tube with foam weather stripping from home depot.  I filled the inside of the tube with some white filler from Joanne fabrics and sealed the end cap and wire exit with black silicon.  I mounted one under the dash pad on the right side against the metal side and the other is to the right of the steering column and is mounted to the flasher bracket.   probably not as good as the kick panel sound but it works well.  I   have a Retrosound Model Two head unit with two Boston acoustics 6x9's on the rear package tray with a JL Audi CP110LG-TW1 sub all powered by Pioneer Class D GM-8601 mono and D8601  power amplifiers.  the 4" front are bridged with two high end (name?) 3.5" speakers in the dash pad.  I mounted the amplifiers on a laser cut aluminium plate I had custom made that is anodized black. All speakers are wired with high quality 100% copper 12 gauge wire and the fused power is supplied with 4 gauge Kicker wire direct from the battery.  I also had to change my alternator to a 140A Tuff Stuff. You can see some pictures here  http://s124.photobucket.com/user/Alan_MacDougall/media/Mach1/DSCN1128_zpsxw8hhxhd.jpg.html               

I put speakers in the kick panel vents last week. I used 1/8"thick aluminum, used the vent to make a template, cut, it and attached it to the vent with rivets. I used Rockford fosgate 5 1/4" speakers and foam baffles. To be honest, you could just use the aluminum and baffles and eliminate the vents. The baffles are advertised as "Weather resistant", but I decided it would be a little more protective for the speakers using the vents.

Matt

post-42483-0-90954600-1486250058.jpg

post-42483-0-04223400-1486250202.jpg