Sign in to follow this  
bradkline

Ranchero GT 429 donor car for Boss tribute

Hey guys! I am new to this forum and have a question about some parts on a 73 Ranchero GT working on my 69 Mach which I'm building into a driver Boss 429 tribute.

I just bought the Ranchero for the 429 4V and the auto trans but I'm wondering if I can use anything else from it? PS setup, PB parts, AC system, pedals, steering column, etc? My car is a rolling shell of all new metal so anything I can use from this Ranchero is a big help to me.

The Ranchero is a complete running and driving car that is just rotting and the interior is shot. Being a 73 its not worth saving but the engine and trans can be built and are worth something to me! :laugh:

Thanks in advance for any input guys!

Brad..

Edited by bradkline

Nothing else will swap out. '71 was the last year for interchangeability of parts with '69/'70 Mustangs. The Torino/Ranchero went under a completely different design in '72 that ran through '76. You may run into issues with the exhaust manifolds as well. They are different than the Mustang manifolds and given the extremely limited space with a 429 shoehorned into a '69/'70 Mustang the Torino manifolds may present some fitment issues.

you could not get a 429 in a 74 ranchero, the factory big block that year is a 460. so if its a 429 its from another car. what are the #'s on the heads and intake? I agree with secz, its a very tight fit for a early mustang, but it can be done

Thanks for the input. Yeah, the car is actually a 73, he had it advertised wrong. The engine is a 1972 - 429 with the D2VE-AA heads which I am reading are shit. So I can steal the engine and trans and make them work, but everything will be parted and the rest scrapped.

Anyone need and parts for a 73 Ranchero GT? lol

Yeah, I listed the parts on some Ranchero forums before I start throwing them up on Ebay. The attached pic KINDA looks like a Boss engine though which would require some shock tower mods. Did he do the valve covers that way to give that appearance or am I just crazy?

Yeah, I listed the parts on some Ranchero forums before I start throwing them up on Ebay. The attached pic KINDA looks like a Boss engine though which would require some shock tower mods. Did he do the valve covers that way to give that appearance or am I just crazy?

It's a concourse restoration and those are the original shock towers. When the cars were sent to Kar-Kraft they hammered the shock towers in to get the clearance needed. The valve covers are OEM Boss 429 valve covers. Here's a stock pic of the valve covers.

Edited by Big Secz

Probably some aftermarket aluminum heads or some better stock style heads. Not Boss style for sure. I have been reading up on what mods MUST be done and which ones people recommend. Very helpful to read what others think that have done this before.