Sign in to follow this  
1957pistol

dash pad vs dash pad cover

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the dash pad covers. My dash is in overall great shape but has two cracks in it. At about $125 difference, are the dash pad covers worth it or is it easier and better to just replace the whole pad.

I realize for a perfect show car the pad is the better way. Mine is going to be a "better than average driver". Just looking for a realistic standpoint from someone with experience.

thanks

the covers look decent when installed properly. they can warp if left in the hot sun too long, I see you are in NY so that may not be a problem, i have seen some fom the south that warp right up like shrink wrap. I had one on my torino cobra, and it worked nice, I am in MI so i didnt have that brutal sun either

My car had a dash cover installed by a PO. It looked like s%#& like Buckeye said. It started to lift at the edges and he held it in place with silicone!!! They are hard plastic and will just take away from anything you do to your car. Be sure and get a Ford Tooling dash pad instead of a cheaper repop. I bought mine from Mustangs Unlimited for about $300 on sale. They normally go for $325-$350. Not a bad price for something that looks great. Remember, you look at it all the time while driving!

Hello 1957pistol,

Just wanted to submit an idea and some thoughts.

I am waiting to get a dash pad for our Mach. I know that

for most of us - money is tight and $300 is still a LOT of money

and can be used in other areas of the car.

What I did was to get a vinyl repair kit and made a temp repair

to our old dash pad. The repair kit comes with a powder filler,

and small heat element that looks like a soldering iron, and some

papers to put in grain look. Works pretty well if you take your time.

The repair kit is NOT better than a new dash pad - BUT it does look

a little better than a cover.

One of these days I'll get the $$ for a new pad - till then - for about

$22.00 the kit seems to have done a DECENT job on our cruiser.

Good luck

Print Dad

The more I think about it, the more I realize I should probably just pay the money and put in a new one. The car is in the beginning stages and I am replacing the entire interior for pennies compared to past builds. I can buy the entire interior for 5-600 compared to the 2500 I spent on my 57 chev car. I'll just wait until it goes on sale and buy the pad.

I've also been contemplating putting a half cage in. If I did, I would be making it myself. Anyone have any pictures of a half over stock interior?

I can buy the entire interior for 5-600 compared to the 2500 I spent on my 57 chev car.

5-600 for the entire interior? that seems really, really low. i would guess just the interior components for the doors in my mach one cost about that much.

+1 on the dash pad. Once you hold it in your hands, it's worth the money. When I got my car 9 years ago, the first thing I noticed when I first sat in the car was the dash pad cover. The very first thing! Got a new Ford tooling dash pad the first winter, and have been happy ever after. A friend of mine with a '70 Mach 1 just got a new one like it a few weeks ago. Both pads are out of the car so I can take a few pictures of the new dash if you want.

5-600 for the entire interior? that seems really, really low. i would guess just the interior components for the doors in my mach one cost about that much.

Coupe vs fastback. Door panels were 69$ seat covers were 179$ headliner was 39$ carpet was 99$

Pics would be great