Sign in to follow this  
Lilalaric

Tick at 1500 rpm

A little background information:

Currently

A 1969 Ford 302 block bored out .030

Comp cams XE268 cam

AFR 185 heads (1420 I believe)

Cast pistons 9:1 compression...no work has been done to them.

I have wiped out two cams before it was discovered the oil slinger needed to be taken out. The heads had been 68 4V heads, but a chunk went missing under the spring seat on one cylinder.

With the new cam in place and the 185 heads put on, it is idling fine. Unfortunately, when the rpm gets up to about 1500 rpm, one cylinder begins to make noise. This same cylinder has caused issues before, and is one cylinder that kept wiping the cam lobes.

The engine has been pulled out and checked by a machine shop with no problems with the block. The garage that has the car has pulled the engine apart twice and cannot find out what the problem may be. I'm looking for any ideas as to what may be causing the noise.

Google for small block ford oil restrictor and make sure you don't have them for your hydraulic cam. These engines are old and they've been through many owners.

Also, exhaust leaks can sound like a tick. And make sure you're using a zinc-rich oil like Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs oils. The flat tapped cams can't use the latest oils that removed zinc for catalytic converter life.

I agree with gsxrken, good oil is a must. I did wipe a cam with (thin) Quaker State oil, lost rod bearings with Castrol Classic oil, but lookin' good with Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil.

I got a slightly off topic question; Why did the oil slinger have to come out? I've never understood why ppl remove them.

Edit: BTW; what # cylinder is ticking?

The oil sling had to be removed since I am running a double roller timing chain. The extra thickness pushed the cam forward into the back of the timing chain cover causing metal shaving to spread throughout the engine.