Sign in to follow this  
latoracing

70 FB Tail Light to Extension fitment

I have been working on getting the rest of the details worked out on the rear of my build, and had a question about the gap between the tail light bezel and the quarter extension. I have looked at a bunch of pics. that I googled, and couldn't tell how much of a gap there was. I have a larger gap on the left side, than the right. I want to get the gap on the two sides that are close to the extension about the same. Pics, measurements, sugestions would be appr.

Thanx in advance

The left side is how I would like it to be, but the right side gap (on the side, not the top) is only 3/16", which is fine if that is how it is supposed to be. I can make the gap what ever it needs to be, just want it to be in the correct place. All the pics I've seen vary, which is probably normal. Hopefully that will clarify my question a little better.

Honestly it depends how the tail light panel was welded on. They do vary. You have to put the extension where it lines up with the quarter... of course these can vary a bit too. On a 70 you could trim the tail light panel hole and move it some; unlike on a 69. It sounds like this is what you are planning. IMO I would just try to make them as even as symmetrical as you can... it wont much matter what other cars are.

Honestly it depends how the tail light panel was welded on. They do vary. You have to put the extension where it lines up with the quarter... of course these can vary a bit too.

Exactly. Remember back in the 60's and 70's they just slapped these cars together. They weren't designed to last more than about 10 years. The fit and finish we shoot for today when we restore these cars is far better than what they ever came out of the factory with.

Edited by maxum96

Honestly it depends how the tail light panel was welded on. They do vary. You have to put the extension where it lines up with the quarter... of course these can vary a bit too. On a 70 you could trim the tail light panel hole and move it some; unlike on a 69. It sounds like this is what you are planning. IMO I would just try to make them as even as symmetrical as you can... it wont much matter what other cars are.

I know that these cars were "slapped" toghether back in the day, and the tolerances varried cosiderably from car to car. Just trying to get an idea of some other people's cars. Both quarters, tail light pannel, and all the connecting parts are all screwed together. There are over 100 screws in the car right now, and it can all come back apart, and be adjusted. Fixing this particular car is in itself interesting. The rear of the car was off center from the factory, imagine that, and the PO had removed the tail light pannel, and cross member so I knew there was going to be some tweeking in order to get this thing back into shape. Guess I'll settle on a decent measurement and not worry about it. Thanx for the input...