Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

70 fastback, add a rear spoiler or not?

Video of the Blue Mach I

I remember Rick's 69 Boss back in the early 90's when I lived in San Antonio, back then it had 15" Weld's but still sat very low.

I'll see if i can dig up an old picture.

I like all the add ons front spoiler ,slats and rear spoiler.My spoiler came from NPD and it sags unless i keep it braced when not on road or at show.I made a brace with cloth on edges so as not to scratch paint when not on road I put it in it gets hot in my garage in summer.

really, thats the first i have heard of the NPD spoiler sagging, i thought it was a good one.

still on the fence about this. thanks for all the pros/cons. I actually ordered one, but havent installed it. I kinda like the look of the Anvil one, but it would have to be body color to look right i think.

really, thats the first i have heard of the NPD spoiler sagging, i thought it was a good one.

still on the fence about this. thanks for all the pros/cons. I actually ordered one, but havent installed it. I kinda like the look of the Anvil one, but it would have to be body color to look right i think.

I hadn't heard that either. The orignal 1969 rear spoilers tended to sag but the 1970 models were much heavier and solid fiberglass spoiler so you don't get the sagging. I thought most (if not all) repo rear spoilers were the heavier 1970 style.

I thought most (if not all) repo rear spoilers were the heavier 1970 style.

I have one of the NPD repro rear spoilers. It's much lighter than the originals. But it is a nice quality piece as are the pedestals.

Add it for sure!! Mine didnt come with one, but I bought an OEM 1970 spoiler for it. You can find them from time to time on fleabay. I think they make all the difference in the world to the looks of any 69/70 fastback.

Gaskets should have come with the kit. Curious if your springs will hold the spoiler up? I was never crazy about the prop rod. I had to wind the spring up a little tighter on mine. It doesnt pop open but it will stay up on its own with spoiler installed now.

yes all the gaskets are in place. and the springs hold the decklid up fine with the new spoiler on. i didnt have to adjust them. and the added benefit, is the decklid used to be a little hard to close, but now it clicks right shut with the extra weight.

My hinges were weak already. Even with the lightweight repo wing it still wouldn't stay up. With a little luck I was able to wind up the spring about 180 degrees and now has enough lift to stay up when I raise it. I was even considering putting a gas filled cylinder on it like modern deck lids and hoods have on them.