Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

70 fastback, add a rear spoiler or not?

i have a 70 Mach, it has its original decklid, it never came with a rear spoiler, but it does have the oval cutouts in it. i am on the fence about adding a spoiler to this car, i think they look great with or without them. opinions?

it would be easy to add one since it has the factory cutouts already.

I say add it, especially since its a Mach 1. If you do add it be sure to put the deck lid supports on the underside to keep it from sinking in when you tighten it down. The newer repos dont warp like the original in the pic.

127_0305_2z+1970_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1+Rear_Passenger_Side.jpg

I think they're cool on a 69-70 fastback no matter if it's a Boss, Mach or standard fastback. If you get one, get the special mounting brackets they sell that goes on the on the underside of the deck lid.

IMG_9950_detail.JPG

I've had a '70 without and one with so it's kind of like form over function. Kinda like Magnum 500 wheels, you didn't seem them much back in 1969/70 but now a 69/70 Sportsroof doesn't look right without them (LOL). Same with the real wing/spoiler, doesn't look right without one.

I've had the same dilemma. Stock Mach without a spoiler. If I get one it'll be from NPD, they've reproduced the spoiler to exactly like the originals. I think it would look better with a spoiler (pic below of my car is OLD btw)

231-010411180720-77372454.jpeg

Remember that there is a difference in the '69 and '70 spoilers. The '69 is made of a plastic type material, and the '70 is made of fiberglass and is heavier, and thus need the reinforcement brackets underneath. The '70 also looks a bit slimmer than the '69 spoiler.

I didnt know that, I thought they were the same gull-wing type design. I will say it looks more "added-on" to a 69 than it does a 70 and looks better next to a set of louvers. Especially for a 70 Mach 1, it rounds out the rear when you have slats installed as well.

Go for it, but make sure you adjust the spoiler so that air passing over the car presses the deck lid DOWN thus giving more traction on the rear wheels as intended.

You see a lot of installations where the spoiler actually lifts the deck lid, looks really bad!

I think its just a matter of personal opinion and taste. I had one on my car before paint and kept it off after jsut to see if I liked it. It is a cleaner look and I like it the way it is now. I also like them on the car, just depends on what the rest of the car looks like.

I am always on the fence on this one. I don't like a lot of extra clutter, like the slats especially, but I feel some paint schemes need the dash and some don't. I felt mine in Champagne Gold needed the extra dash of color, so I went with it.

BOB_3854.jpg

Remember that there is a difference in the '69 and '70 spoilers. The '69 is made of a plastic type material, and the '70 is made of fiberglass and is heavier, and thus need the reinforcement brackets underneath. The '70 also looks a bit slimmer than the '69 spoiler.

You're talking about the OEM type rear spoilers. The good modern aftermarket spoilers (NPD sells a really nice one that I have) don't have the issues of the originals. The spoilers are the same for 69-73. Just different pedestals depending on the year (69-70 taller, 71-73 shorter).

Remember, it’s a rear spoiler not a rear wing. When the front of the spoiler is angled down it creates down force. When it is level, it is more like a wing and does nothing or adds lift. When the forward part is angled up and the trailing edge down, it becomes similar to an aircraft wing flap and generates lift or drag, not a good thing.

Several years ago at the Carlisle All-Ford show they were having the Boss Nationals. I was admiring a 1970 Boss 302 showcased in one of the halls. I noticed the rear spoiler had a very nose down attitude and asked the owner about it. He told me that a few years earlier when he had restored the car it was being displayed and Larry Shinoda, the original designer of the Boss 302 package, was admiring his car. Shinoda told him his car was beautiful and perfect with the exception of the angle of the rear spoiler and asked if he could adjust it. The owner said sure, and proceeded to give Shinoda an allen wrench to make the adjustments. Shinoda adjusted the leading edge down and explained the reasoning and aerodynamics of it. After hearing this story, I looked closely at the angle of the adjustment and sort of measured it off with my fingers and went and immediately and adjusted mine to a similar angle.

Below is an attachment from a 1969 issue of Car Life magazine showing Shinoda making adjustments on a rear spoliler.

I'm a fan of the front spoiler, rear spoiler and rear window louvers. To me, the '69 and '70 Mustangs need 'em all! :)

I've got the angle of mine pretty flat. To me, that just looks right. Considering the very limited miles the car gets, I'm not too concerned about drag!

I like all the add ons front spoiler ,slats and rear spoiler.My spoiler came from NPD and it sags unless i keep it braced when not on road or at show.I made a brace with cloth on edges so as not to scratch paint when not on road I put it in it gets hot in my garage in summer.

Probably depends on what you want. I'm into 1/4 mile cars and the spoilers don't look right to me on them. I can't think of too many stock eliminator Mustangs with them. My '69 street car had the front spoiler when I got the car long ago and I took the thing off right away.

DSC_4126.jpg

DSC_0613_zps8311cfa4.jpg

DSC_3981.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_4225.jpg

I like the clean look myself, just my opinion.

I am going to put a front spoiler on my boss clone, but looking at trimming the stock one down or fabricating a shorter version that will look factory.

One thing I do agree looks good on the 69/70's is the black out treatment on the taillight panel and 69 headlight buckets. I plan to incorporate this theme on my 69 Mach I, even though it is not factory correct.

image_zps4d142327.jpg

image_zps476dac37.jpg

Edited by xplane