Sign in to follow this  
68turbostang

Which shocktowerless suspension?

I'm debating putting a coyote motor in my 70 mustang. I already put a 2012 mustang dash in it and was thinking about doing the motor too. The car is going to be a daily driver so I want it to be able to handle like a newer mustang. I'm not going to autocross it or anything like that, I just want it to handle like the modern muscle cars. I know if I do the mod motor I am going to have to notch or remove the shock towers. What suspension setup will allow me to reach the goals of a modern mustangs handling ability? The setups I've been looking into so far are:

Rod and Custom

Detroit Speed

Roadster Shop

Chris Alstons Chassisworks

Gateway performance suspension

RRS

AJE

Fatman

Or any other suspension not mentioned here.

Ditch all the Mustang II style systems and go for a Corvette C6 front suspension like The Roadster Shop , DSE or Sean Hyland Motorsports. I say this because it is now a tried and true platform with good aftermarket parts availability and service parts from GM should you need it. My brother has an XV Motorsport (Same as Sean Hyland) Level 2 system on his '70 'Cuda, and it is rocking. Mustang II is of course cheaper, but there is no way it is as good as the C6 suspension. They were designed almost 40 years apart.

Ditch all the Mustang II style systems and go for a Corvette C6 front suspension like The Roadster Shop , DSE or Sean Hyland Motorsports. I say this because it is now a tried and true platform with good aftermarket parts availability and service parts from GM should you need it. My brother has an XV Motorsport (Same as Sean Hyland) Level 2 system on his '70 'Cuda, and it is rocking. Mustang II is of course cheaper, but there is no way it is as good as the C6 suspension. They were designed almost 40 years apart.

Those suspensions look nice, but are twice the price of something like the Rod and Custom. For a car that will be a daily driver street driven car, will I really notice the difference between the two or is the difference only seen on the track?

Depends on how hard you drive it!:devil2:

I can't honestly say, because I have not driven a MII suspension type. Seen it up close on a few rod builds friends of mine have done. It didn't wow me. The internet says :001_rolleyes: the MII is prone to bumpsteer issues. But I have driven my brothers 'cuda with the C6 suspension, and with the fat tires that suspension allows, the amount of grip is incredible. It's also fairly comfortable, and it will easily allow you to install ABS brakes in the future. I believe ABS conversions are the next big thing in Hot Rodding with Mark Stielow leading the way with his two last builds. So planning ahead, I'd go with the C6 suspension.

My brother's 'cuda has the edge on my TCP equipped Mustang (which handles really well), but I'm limited by (front) tire width. It's so good I'm playing with the thought of selling my front suspension and go with the C6 type suspension myself, but I think I have my plate full for now (See my tread over at projects).

Looking at those C6 front ends had me drooling. Looks like great stuff.

I can not replicate the bumpsteer issues on the MII. My car drove the AlCan with no problems!

I will make no claims for a track, but for driving on normal roads it was great for normal street driving. It may not be perfect, but people talk like it sucks, and that is inaccurate.

That Mustang II stuff is heavy. I'm going to do the AJE stuff......someday

I'm no MII fan, but how is there any significant weight difference between another LSA front end with tube arms, other than the springs? If you chose the AJE strut to an LSA type, you lose the ability to have much camber adjustment. 2 very different types of design. I like the strut option which has the ability to have big brakes, but don't think the added weight of an upper and lower control arm suspension is a bad thing.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Detroit Speed all the way, this is what i chose after months of research. I am super impressed with their parts i can not wait to drive my car in the next 2 months.

The Detroit Speed setup looks really nice, but for $6500 and you don't even get brakes, engine mounts, steering coupler, fender panels or adjustable shocks!!! The Rod and Custom with 12" Wilwood 4 piston calipers and everything listed above is only around $3500. By the time you put all that on the Detroit Speed your looking at around $8500. Is it really worth the extra 5 grand?? Are you going to feel a $5000 difference for a car that is a daily driver street car?

Where does TCI fit in? If you want MII.. they advertise for $1500 now for a kit including brakes (GM 11").. Their higher end kit (don't say MII, but I don't know).. is $3 large..

http://www.fabquest.com/suspension/ifs-kits/64-70-ford-mustang-mustang-ii-ifs-suspension-kit-full-tilt-street-rods.html

http://www.fabquest.com/search-by-car-make-model/ford-mustang-and-cougar-64-70/64-70-ford-mustang-and-cougar-tci-custom-ifs-front-end-kit.html

For me the DSE was worth the extra money. I have tried EVERY single bolt on kit on the market and I wasn't happy. I have tried the Heights and TCI kits over the years as well and I wasn't happy so from researching the design of what was on the market the DSE and Roadster Shop were the best. RS copied the DSE geometry which is obvious but what made me choose the DSE kit over the RS was the Speed Lign system for the alignment and the adjustability. I also prefer the JRI shocks to the Afcos. Price wise they were within 5% of each other.

You have me seriously looking into that Roadster Shop Suspension. After Pricing everything out, the Roadster Shop setup would cost me about 2k more than the Rod & Custom, but there is probably 2k worth of performance upgrades between the two.

The Detroit Speed also looks really nice, but it would cost about another 2k over the roadster shop suspension and I don't know if there is 2k worth of upgrades over the Roadster Shop.

The TCI is a better set up than Heidts in my opinion. I am using Detroit Speed rear end set up in my new build but in my opinion unless you are doing some serious road course racing the TCI set up will work fine for the money.

At the Good Guys Show I won Best Ford in a Ford. The entire show only 4 or 5 people even bothered to look under the car. If you have an unlimited budget go DSE but otherwise money would be better spent elsewhere.

I only care about street drivability. I want a comfortable ride that can handle well. I want something comparable to a modern sports car. Not a 90's sports car, but a new sports car. I don't want to end up spending all the money on a TCI type suspension and not be satisfied when I could have spend a couple grand more on something like the Roadster Shop suspension. I also don't want to spend an extra two grand on the Roadster Shop suspension if I won't even notice a difference between it and a TCI type suspension.