Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

rear disc brake conversion kits

The cable was about 10 inches short where they connect on the rear drivers side.

IMG_1546.jpg

So just used the right length of grade 8 threaded rod and two brake cable connectors. Places like NPD carry the connectors.

IMG_1460.jpg

The Summit caliper has the SSBC label.

IMG_0240.jpg

The cable was about 10 inches short where they connect on the rear drivers side.

So just used the right length of grade 8 threaded rod and two brake cable connectors. Places like NPD carry the connectors.

IMG_1460.jpg

What cable did you use to hook to the calipers?

Wow! Those SSBC rear calipers look like a dead copy (although nicer) of the Varga rear calipers on the SN-95 cars. Anyone ever do a side-by-side to see if they would interchange? What size piston do they have?

Thanks!

I have the SSBC kit on mine as well but calipers dont have SSBC on them. From their manual the calipers are from 84-87 Turbo Tbird. I think rotors may be the same but are modifed by them so they suggest you buy rotors from them directly.

Afret, What did you do about the stock proportioning valve with the new

rear discs. Thanks, Steve

I installed a line lock on the front brake line and the fittings on the stock distribution block were an odd size. Didn't want to deal with it so I just got rid of the distribution block and stock proportioning valve and put an old adjustable proportioning valve I had to use.

IMG_1461-2.jpg

Edited by afret

Does this kit change your track width at all? I think I know where Im getting my rear brakes now!

The only change is that the disc brake hat is thicker than the drum so the track increased by about 1/8" or so on each side.

I did a cheepy rear disc setup on my 8.8 a couple of years back, I installed the later model 9" housing ends (ultimate C clip eliminators) and slightly modified a set of Explorer rear disc brake assy. I had laying around. The drum type parking brake required a custom built addaptor, but was simple to build, and the stock style drum cables were reused with out modifications. I did have to mill out the mounting holes to make them fit the hole pattern on the new 9" ends, but it all lined up with out any trouble, and was a huge improvement over the drum brakes. With new rotors, pads, and shoes, I was into the set up $150.00

I used a hit from Steve at ultra stang, he offers big and small bearing kits, allows you to either use a disk setup off of 84-87 mark vii, or continental, or you can use the newer brake setup on 94-98 mustang. I have a 85 continental brake setup on my rear and small bearing adapter kit, uses factory parking brake cables, no length to be added direct bolt on.

I used a kit from Steve at ultra stang,

that looks like a decent kit, ebay has a really universal kit for $395, but in the end not sure what kind of brakes i have. were the continental parts readily available via parts stores? how much was the ultra stang kit?, i dont see prices on his website

Yes parts are available, and if I remember I think I paid 140 with shipping for kit. I had the rear set up already, but had to replace the rotors. He also makes kits to use the rear disc off of the newer mustangs, and those parts are readily available

Yes parts are available, and if I remember I think I paid 140 with shipping for kit. I had the rear set up already, but had to replace the rotors. He also makes kits to use the rear disc off of the newer mustangs, and those parts are readily available

looks like i would need the kit for sn95 brakes, since i have the small bearing setup. I emailed him some questions, hopefully he will respond and we can do some business. thanks for the info.