Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerfan

Paint question

Good day, all!

Well, after doing our taxes, we are ready to pull the trigger on getting a paint job! We are looking at painting her Acapulco Blue with black interior and top. I've seen several cars with the front headlight buckets painted black, as well as the rear panel near the fuel cap. I need some opinions! I know everyone has them! Do you think this would look good? If so, should I go with a flat or gloss black?

We found a great guy to work on her (thanks, 70mstang! :rockon: ), and are excited to get her painted before spring is over!

Go with flat black accents. From what I've read Sherwin Williams Mercedes flat black is the best. Do a search and you will find the number. My car came with gloss black accents and I think it looks terrible, mine will no longer be gloss come spring.

The Boss & Grabber Mustangs had these accents. I have also read the Sherwin Williams Mercedes looks nice & cleans up relativity easily. The cleanup is very important in my opinion as getting as on semi or flat paint is very difficult or impossible to cleanup.

Some photos & reference for you:

http://photos.mustangsbymike.com/Mach-1-Hood

https://www.google.com/search?q=1969+boss+302&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5M0JUcvdMs_TqQHyuYH4Aw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1215&bih=855

Not knowing what car this is, it is hard to say, but I almost never like tail panel black or headlight buckets on any of the 69s unless the factory did it. I think it looks even worse on coupes. I also don't like stripes either.

Kind of a traditionalist I guess, but there are cars on ebay where I see people do custom stuff and while it may look good to them, I think it turns a lot of buyers off.

When I bought my car 20+ years ago the tail light panel was blacked out (semi gloss) and I really like the look. I think I'm going to do what IN-resto recommended and keep it body color for a while to see if I want it black again.

Not knowing what car this is, it is hard to say, but I almost never like tail panel black or headlight buckets on any of the 69s unless the factory did it. I think it looks even worse on coupes. I also don't like stripes either.

Kind of a traditionalist I guess, but there are cars on ebay where I see people do custom stuff and while it may look good to them, I think it turns a lot of buyers off.

Sorry! It's a convertible. Check out my pics!

To me, it comes down to what one wants for his or herself out of the hobby.

As someone who currently owns four different Mustangs, I can honestly say that each of my Mustangs has been (and continues to be) modified to suit me, not some future buyer.

That does not detract from your voicing your opinion since that is what the OP asked for but I will go on record to say I like blacked out rear panels and headlight buckets. Heck, I also like stripes on our cars.

Just my $.02.:smile:

BT

That does not detract from your voicing your opinion since that is what the OP asked for but I will go on record to say I like blacked out rear panels and headlight buckets. Heck, I also like stripes on our cars.

Just my $.02.:smile:

BT

Oh, no worries, everybody likes their own thing. I have always been a fan of stock bodies in factory colors with improvements throughout mechanically. I just love the pure plain and simple factory look. I had a 428 Mach 20 years ago and I couldn't wait to get the slats off it. I had to be talked into keeping the rear spoiler on my present fastback.

I was going through the same thoughts on mine when I painted mine. I stuck with the stock Acapulco Blue and added a little different ideas to the flat black. I flatted the entire hood and cowl unlike the standard striping. I also flat blacked the tail panel, but just the panel. I did not go onto the quarter extensions, like the Bosses do I believe. I also did a bit different with the strips and had them painted on in black, minus the gold and reflective material the decals had, but in the same style on the side and over the trunk lid. I looked at doing the headlight buckets, but figured I would wait on those on initial painting figuring I could always go back and change. I will probably be keeping the color around the heads lights.

Here are a couple of pics for reference.

MustangWeek2010082.jpg

MustangWeek2010084.jpg

phoca_thumb_l__dsc8828.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_dsc08849.jpg

Looks great. Of all the paint mods that I think look good on 69s, its the blacked out tail light panel. My 69 Blue Mach had the gold stripes, which I prefer, although I think I am in the minority. Totally understand why someone with a 69 Mach would pain the whole hood and cowl black. That pinstripe was a PITA.

Thanks Max. yeah I was not fond of that hood Pinstripe so I was just looking for something a little different. As for the side stripes, I didnt mind the gold, again just wanted someting a little different and did the paint route. Most people that dont know the particulars of the stripes, dont really even notice a difference.

Thanks Max. yeah I was not fond of that hood Pinstripe so I was just looking for something a little different. As for the side stripes, I didnt mind the gold, again just wanted someting a little different and did the paint route. Most people that dont know the particulars of the stripes, dont really even notice a difference.

I see far more Acapulco Blue cars with black stripes these days than gold. I wonder what the factory breakdown was.

I more or less inherited my mustang and grew up thinking this is what a 69 looks like. I even wondered why other ones I saw were painted the same color... Repainting mine now (all the same color). Just thought I'd share an image