Sign in to follow this  
coloradostang

69 convert wiring

I need some help from a member with a 69 convertible. mine has a 351W auto, power top. I am re-wiring under hood. My loom is a mess. I have a nicer loom from a 69 coupe, both are V-8, seems to be about the same, should I use it? Also will someone show be pictures of their wiring to the solenoid, volage regulator and radio condensor? I have everything wired up, but no power to the small left side post on the solenoid when the key is on. I have 12 volts to the solenoid on the battery post. I an going to check conections to the neutral starting swich. Car has mallory pro master coil and unilite distributor and trunk mounted battery. Thanks.

I got no pics as the car is at the F-I-L's for the winter. I would not replace the loom with a used loom, that may or may not be the right one. Ford was famous for having diff wiring for all kinds of stuff. Send it to Midlife (not sure if he's on this board) but you can find him on the Vintage Mustang Forum. He has a good reputation, and can restore your original loom. Heck he might even have a pic, and he usually has extra wire looms for speedy changeouts. I think he did a complete loom (tach) for a 69 I sold recently.

I also have 2 black wires that come out of the harness near the solonoid, they have a star shaped washer on them are these a ground? There is a large(10 guage?) black wire under the carpet going from the firewall back towards the shifter whats it for? Shifter light maybe? UPDATE- I bypassed the neutral safety switch, starter engages but does not turn, ideas?

Edited by coloradostang
more info

I could look at mine and see but I think they are grounds... also check your starter..and do you have a good ground from the battery to the block? and from the block to the body? Also no grounds through aluminum..

I think I have the wiring figured out. I have the power to the starter, but it only engages but won't turn. I can't get the crank to turn by hand. It turned when I installed it, but It has sat a year. I am afraid it might have seized. I an going to back the tranny out mabey its jammed up. I put the driveshaft output in and it tuns in all gears except park but the motor does not, that doesn't seem right. I pulled the plugs and put a little oil in each cylinder. I will let it set in a heated garage for a day or so. When I switched from a bad FMX to a C-4 I used a 302 flywheel because the 351 was too large to fit in the C-4, could this be a problem? I have pulled the starter, still can't turn engine by hand

Edited by coloradostang
more info

Not sure about the combination of parts you have. But you might remove the starter and then try to roll the motor over by hand- that will tell you if its seized- it might be the starter is hung. As far as the flywheel- someone else should be along shortly that can answer that

I think the flywheel could be the source of your problems. I thought it was the same for a 302 or 351 windsor. There could have been differences between a FMX and C4 flywheel though.

If your tranny is removed, see if you can put a wrench on the crank pully and turn the motor over. You should be able to. If your tranny is not removed, you should be able to move the remove the starter and move the teeth on the flywheel.

If your under hood wiring is a mess, then using the other loom would work. There were not that many differences in underhood wire harnesses. I think they had one for a V8 with or without tach and a 6. The same underhood harness was used for all "non tach" V8s; AC or no AC, convertible or no convert, with all motors and body styles. The loom for a car with a tach has a 4 pin connector to the alternator. So if yours has a 3 pin connector to the alternator and is from a V8, it will be fine.

The large 10 gauge black wire is probably the one for the convertible top. They have a large black wire that connects to the battery terminal on the starter solenoid, it runs back through the firewall behind the carb. It is completely seperate from the underhood harness discussed above. It did not go under the carpet, though. No factory wires went under the carpet.

The black wires out of your harness are probably not grounds! They used black wires for positive voltages then. So ask more questions and find out first.