Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Electric rad fans tips

Depending on your radiator to water pump space, you have a pair of original Ford fans to choose from.

The first is from a 1990-1995 Ford Taurus 3.8L offers a good fan. It covers the radiator almost perfectly. It is a single blade, dual speed fan that sucks some serious CFM. It is pretty thick, though.

The second is from the 95-00 V6 Ford Contour, 99-02 V6 Mercury Mystique, and 99-02 V6 Mercury Cougar. I do not have one of those, but they are a dual fan setup that also does a good job covering the radiator. The caveat with these, though is get one from a 99 or newer car. Apparently, there was an issue with the wiring harness plug off the back of the older fans that had exposed wires which often lead to a short and melted wires or burned out fan motors.

At the moment, I am planning on using (already have acquired) the Taurus fan. But, with my Ron Morris adjustable engine mounts and a very short snout (94 GT) water pump, I should have plenty of room.

Chuck

Edited by MustangChuck
(fixed a typo)

Stock 24" wide core. The radiator is the same size as the original brass radiator.

IMG_0625.jpg

This is the original brass radiator with dual Spal fans:

IMG_0626.jpg

What make aluminum fan is that?.

I have a Zirgo 3600 CFM fan, it definitely does the job. I positioned in the back side of the rad on the passenger side. To really pull that hot air out. Once i get an oil cooler, I'll put that on the backside of the rad on the driver side and throw another fan (probably a Spal 2500 CFM Fan) on the front side of the rad on the driver side.

Basically I'll have a fan for just the hot side, pulling and a fan on the cold side pushing air into the rad and the oil cooler.

Went to the aluminum radiator to save weight. The brass 4 core radiator with the dual Spal fans was really heavy. Thought I would leave that setup alone so got the Contour fans for the aluminum radiator.

It's a '69 Mach 1 street/strip car. It has a 482" FE. Not sure about how much power it makes. I need to get the new roll bar installed and take it through the quarter mile to find out. There used to be a track about 15 minutes from my house but it closed and the other ones are a long ways off.

The electric water pump is great but they only make ones that pump only about 40 gpm for an FE so it might not be able to keep up during a long highway drive. They are more than adequate for a drag only car though. I've driven around the neighborhood at low speeds in the desert summer heat and the engine would stay cool. There's a guy working on making an adapter to fit a 55 gpm electric pump to an FE which should be adequate to cool the motor on a long drive.