Sign in to follow this  
Ky69Mach

Light scratches in glass

Eastwoods I believe sells a glass scratch remover kit. From what I can recall, it basically works just like a cut and buff system works on your paint. Very labor intensive and you are essentially taking off glass. I've also read that it will only polish out very light scratches. If you have any gouges or deep scratches it simply will not work.

I looked into that Eastwood kit and found some interesting resposes to it. Some like it, most didn't. Apparently it doesn't work too well. It sucks because I have some scratches I want to get rid of as well.

Another possibility is Novus polish. It's primarily for plastics like aircraft canopies but it might help a little. I suspect the best you will be able to do is knock down the edges of the scratches. That will make them less visible but they will still be there. Beyond that, don't know. In my youth I made a few telescope mirrors using alundum grinding powder which comes in different grades. A final polish was done using something like jewlers rouge. Be careful with the grinding approach or you will end up with a bit of visual distortion as you will have made a lens. Google glass polishing for many other options & good luck!

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail- you are not going to get it out. Sorry to say that- but I have used many products, talked to several glass places, and searched on many forums. THe consensus is it removes water spots, maybe a little haze, otherwise nada. Scratches, and the little "pits" you can see when you look through the glass (esp in sunlight) you are stuck with. I recall once using a high speed buffer, and cerium oxide- I spent over an hour on a side glass, I got it very hot- it didn't hurt it, but did damn near nothing at all. Just a waste of my time, and made a mess (just like buffing a car-that sh++ goes everywhere. Good luck, and I hope you can prove me wrong (please do- and post back if you find anything that works)