Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Removing paint from metal lower dash?

I removed the metal lower dash from my 69 Coupe so I can re paint it. It has some surface rust & the paint is scratched is many places. I was thinking of sand blasting it & I tried it today & it is removing very little of the paint & doesnt seem to be getting the paint out of the groves between the grainy surface of the dash. I am using the Eastwood blast out of a bucket abrasive gun. What about using paint stripper?. Any suggestions on what might work?.

TIA, Mike.

I bet the blast out of a bucket is the problem. A good sandblaster would make short work of paint/rust- in fact (caution here) I would exercise great caution with a good blaster not to remove the texture on the dash. Any buddys near you with a pressure pot? What media are u using? Maybe the grit is too large and won't get in the cracks (but should eat the paint that it can get to instantly) I prefer blasting over about any other prep- but you could try stripper (aircraft) and a toothbrush, you could also try (another fav trick) laquar thinner and a red scotch brite pad (don't underestimate this- it will cut factory paint like nothing, and leave the metal like brand new) Then if you have rust left- just a momentary blast of sand should fix that.

I was using sand, & used it before to strip the paint off the engine compartment of a 65 Mustang & it worked well on that. Thanks for the ideas guys I will try the paint stripper.

I haven't tried powder for a dash but I do powder most everything else. It would be extremely durable, might be slightly off from factory color (though you could have custom powder made) You would need someone experienced in powder (cause you'd need just enough coverage to be complete, but not enough to fill the little textured areas.) I would guess for the size part (assuming you removed and brought it in stripped) maybe 75-150 depending on the area of the country you're in. I bet you'd never revisit the dash again since its so durable.

So.. From all of the good info above, I am deducing that the texture is "in the metal", and not a surface application to smooth metal? I am about to have mine sand blasted and painted, and I don't want these guys to get into it and destroy the texture...

I am also doing the same with the interior metal quarter panels on each wall to the side of the back seat. Same texture there, so should I have the same expectations there?

How do I specify "original paint" other than just "semi-gloss black"? Any suggestions on that?

Thanks all!

Jay

PS I was shocked today to go to 2 body shops and neither one of them does ANY sand or media blasting (really??) Hard to believe a paint shop doesn't have a blaster these days!

Yes, you are correct the texture is actually part of the metal. And using straight sand can distort or damage the texture. Use either a chemical striper or Skat Blast or Sodium Bicarbonate to preserve that texture. Because once it is damage it's gone forever. Once you have it striped, use very light hand sanding with very fine grit paper. Then clean the surface with a good de-greaser and paint.

Also, the dash should basically match the color of your interior, WITH exceptions. If you have black or white interior, then the color of the dash is actually a very dark charcoal metallic, NOT black. Don't get fooled here. I used Seymour lacquer paint from NPD and it was a perfect match. I believe it was AP-4464. The description says black metallic, but it IS the right color. A matter of semantics I guess. Lacquer paint is thinner then an enamel and will allow the natural texture of your dash to shine through. It will take two to three light coats.

B.

Thank guys. I'm having trouble locating media-blasting people around me, and I don't have the air compressor to do it myself. I have a small soda blaster I could use, but my compressor doesnt have sufficient flow rate at 90psi to support continuous ops.

LindenBruce: The paint you mentioned above is a "rattle-can". is that how you painted your interior parts? If so, how many cans to cover the dash? I'm guessing maybe 4 cans and I can do the dash, the door upper sill panels, and the backseat closeout panels. What do you think?

Here is the link:

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/interior_paint_spray_lacquer-107611-0.html

Thanks for that.

Two cans will do the dash. What is the color of your upholstery. Because the plastic trim panels you are asking about should match your upholstery. Mine interior is white, so the plastic got white. The lower dash panel and steering column should be the same color. 2 cans should do your plastic trim pieces. And yes, it is rattle can stuff. But NOT your local auto parts rattle can stuff. The paint I used is great quality stuff. As an FYI, you should use a plastic cleaner and pre-paint prep on your plastic parts. It will condition the plastic to accept the color paint.

And the link you posted is correct. There is even a note at the bottom of that page telling you it is really dark charcoal metallic. Is that the color of your dash and steering column? B.

Edited by LindenBruce

Yes. My interior is what I call "all black". it is not a grande. Just a stock config. All the plastic and metal parts are the same color - which you are saying is "dark charcoal metallic". The parts I want to paint are all metallic. Looking at the steering wheel last night, It does likely need paint also. So, the parts I plan to paint are:

the metal dash

the door trim (just below window, and above the interior door panel)

The backseat side panels (interior quarter panels)

The steering column

Have you had any trouble with this laquer paint on your plastic parts? is it flexible enough to not begin peeling? How do you prep the plastic surface?

Thanks for all the help - I appreciate all this feedback.

Jay

PS: pics of my refurb stock steering wheel attached. Believe it or not, that is my original steering wheel pad and horn ring. The wheel (and the center logo) is a new hi-q repro from cjpony. I just wrapped it with a wheel-skinz last night (not pictured)

Edited by JayEstes