Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

Machining projects needed

I am fairly new to machining, only my 2nd semester. I am in need of some simple projects for manual mill and lathe. I know we have a few machinist on here so any ideas would be great. I prefer something I can use on my car or maybe a some homemade tools. Any ideas would be appreciated and if you have prints, please include as well.

Thanks

Anthony

Shifter handle out of Alum., adjustable strut tower brace with some 303 stainless steel hex stock and some 1/2" x 20tpi hyme joints, (left and right hand threads so you don't have to take it off to adjust). I made a simple alt. bracket out of some 6061-T6, and machined the offsets and radi in it, with out the CNC controller, that was fun. I guess if you look around enough, there are a bunch of small brackets or maby even a knob of some sort that would need to be turned, then machined. Be creative, customize some alum. valve covers...

A front engine plate, an engine lift plate, billet pulleys, shelby drop template, caliper adapter plates, billet battery hold down, billet throttle cable bracket, motor mounts, transmission crossmember, hood hinges, etc. some of these are more advanced and would require lathe and mill and welding but also a lot of measuring and layout work. Post your work after! Enjoy and be safe!

I guess the engine lift plate would be the simplest. Another tool you could make is an oil pump primer. You need an old sacrificial distributor for the shaft which you can cut and turn in the lathe. Google it I am sure you can find someone who has done both of these.

Edited by Fordrevhead

Anthony,

I am not a machinist but I have a lathe and Bridgeport mill and fumble my way through projects. It is really cool and fun to make your own parts.

Here are a couple of links to threads I posted on parts that I've made.

Jointed Front Struts:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11532

Monte Carlo Bar:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=12434

Spoiler Delete Plugs:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=12287

Let us know what you end up doing.

Jim

Thanks for posting the links, I looked the other day for the heim joint struts but could not find it. I may tackle this later on, when I get a little better at this. You must be a "train driver" if you are not a machinist, sorry couldn't resist. Now that I have a little knowledge, I can appreciate the quality of your work, very nice. I would like to make some nice hood hinges when I get into CNC, but that will be a little while. I would probably need some help with the prints if you know anybody. Any more progress on the other items you mentioned making?

Nothing wrong with train driving, pays my bills so I can enjoy and support my family and hobbies. :)[/QUO

I agree completely, I hope to get a degree in train driving after I complete my Machining program. I hope that did not come off as something insulting. If it did, I am truly sorry.

Nothing wrong with train driving, pays my bills so I can enjoy and support my family and hobbies. :)[/QUO

I agree completely, I hope to get a degree in train driving after I complete my Machining program. I hope that did not come off as something insulting. If it did, I am truly sorry.

Not at all! My Dad use to say the same thing. He wanted me to be an Architect... which in hindsight I would also have enjoyed. Manufacturing in the US will resurge in the next decade and I will be in a good place as an experienced Engineer in a country with a shortage of engineers.

If you ever plan to make a rotisserie you could also start making plates and stuff too, those are simple. You can search for my build thread for some pictures... it's way past needing updating but I have been working a lot and I filled up the third bay of the shop with a tandem axle car hauler I am rebuilding. So thats taking my time, money and space.