Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerfan

Question re: False Vents

We are about to get our convertible painted to Acapulco Blue. I had heard somewhere that the body underneath the side false vents was originally painted black, with the vent painted the body color. Is this true? I'm thinking this would look pretty good. Does anyone have any pictures of their vents they would like to share?

Thanks!

Its not the body panel, there's a small panel attached to the backside of ornamental grill.

Really? That's the first time I've heard that! Thanks for the pics, RangerDoc! That would be much easier than having my painter spend time painting those little sections! Now, does anyone have a source for those panels? I've checked CJ Pony and Mustangs Unlimited, but I may not be searching for the right things....

I haven't, but the PO had repainted the car, and it appears that either they were removed, or just painted over.

The body panel behind the fake vents is concave shaped to clear the vent assembly so if the small panel were missing there would be a noticeable gap between the horizontal bars of the fake vent piece and the body behind it. Didn't have time to locate a pic to show what I'm talking about, out of lunch time.