Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerfan

Transmission Mount Replacement

Good day to all!

Thanks to the information on this fantastic site, I successfully replaced the transmission mount on my C4 auto transmission. Thanks to you all!

I wanted to give some information about how I changed it, so that hopefully I will save someone some frustration in the future.

Once I got the car up on stands, I used an 11/16 socket to remove the two bolts from the middle of the crossmember. Next, I used a block of wood and a jack to raise the transmission. Here is where I ran into problems.

The two bolts that attach the mount to the transmission are 3/4in. bolts. The best way to remove these is to put a socket on it. However, the crossmember is in the way. I removed the bolts holding both sides of the crossmember in place, hoping to remove it so I could easily access the bolts. Oops! Those pesky exhaust pipes are in the way! My next thought was to disconnect the down tube from the manifold, but I instead found a 3/4 ratcheting wrench that I was able to get into the space to remove the bolts. So, a 25 minute job turned into a two day job while I ran around town looking for a ratcheting wrench!

Thanks again to everyone on this site! I hope this info will help someone else!

BTW, here's a picture of the old and new mount!

picture.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1550