Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Lizard Skin vs. Dynamat

Many of you may be familiar with these two products, both of which claim to be sound deadeners. I believe the Lizard skin may be a bit more expensive but is clearly much easier to apply. I was wondering if anyone here had knowledge of these two and how they might compare as sound deadeners?

John

I have used dynomat in a 63 fairlane. It was easy to install with the small roller. It's not really messy but if you get the black "goo" on you or your clothing it doesn't come off easy. If you apply it over holes or gaps it "melts" and sags. If it sags here in NY summers imagine what OK summers will do to it. Its also a lot of cutting and fitting to get it perfect. I plan on buying some lizard skin for my coupe. Since I will be putting in a new floor and it is going to be a road and show (more road than show and not original) I want to do both sides of the new floor before it goes in leaving a few inches around the edges for weld heat. Once its in (in theory) just continue painting it on. As well as inside the doors and quarters (another thing dynomat doesn't do well).

I have used both Lizard Skin and Dynamat on my classic cars over the past few years. The Dynamat is definitely cheaper, but as 1957pistol said, it takes a good while to get it all put on. It is a lot of cutting and molding. I used Lizard Skin on my 70 and have been pretty happy with it so far. I had the guy who painted my car spray it on so it was by far the easiest install I've ever had (::grin).

I'm down in Southwest Florida where it gets stupid hot 9 months out of the year, so I was looking more so for ways to keep the heat out of the car than for sound quality. If you're looking for better sound quality, I think the Dynamat is the way to go. The Lizard Skin does dampen some of the sounds from the outside, but not nearly as much as the Dynamat I've had in previous cars did. If you do go the Dynamat route, I would recommend taking the extra time to put it in the doors and rear wheel/rear interior quarter panel areas. It makes a huge difference over just putting it on the floor.

i also used lizard skin products on my 69 coupe.... i used both the heat and sound products.. i had it sprayed while it was being prepped for paint... in priority i had the roof, doors, floor and rear trunk area sprayed with both products. without the headliner installed or glass i could shut the door and hear a nice solid thud... now with the headliner and glass in as well as carpet... no dash.. i hear a nice thud with no resonating.. i purchased some eastwood sound deadening product similar to dynomat to install behind the door panels and rear deck at the rear glass.. ill post when i install it..

i too wanted to keep the heat out living in south ga and the sound deadening is a plus for when i install the sound system...

so to sum it up, i had the lizard skin product installed and plan on using the eastwood product in problem areas if/when needed.. :thumbup:

I used a dynamat type product called de-amplifier, which was cheaper and has helped out a whole lot. Did the entire interior floor from trunk to top of firewall, roof, and a sheet in the middle of each door. Took a little while to roll down but probably just as long as mixing, masking, and spraying in something. Especially if the interior is already stripped. Made a huge difference in sound and heat.. with no carpet in the car i used to melt grocery bags to the bare floor over a 5 mile drive.. put a sheet or spray into your sail pannels and rear upper quarters it makes a huge sound difference being such a big solid hollow piece of metal..