Sign in to follow this  
frankenstang

6 cylinder disc brake conversion question

After driving her for a few a days, I am thinking the 4 wheel drums aren't going to cut it. I already added a power brake conversion but it seems kind of worthless with the drums on all four corners. I had converted my '68 to disc and the kits were abundant.

Here is my question. I have seen a few kits out there that are set for the '69 6 cylinder 4 lug pattern but none of them will use the stock steel wheel. I just spent a boatload of cash on an original set of wire wheel covers, tires and 2 NOS 4 lug rims to replace a pair of bent ones. Are there any kits that will use the original steel wheels and bolt up very nicely?

Any information?

Thanks,

Steve

I went though this and a number of threads you can search, as well as a number of sites selling conversions.

Bottomline, I bought the 69 setup from a fellow forum member (thanks) so I could use my original styled steel wheels. The problem is due to wheel bearing size increasing in 70 design which increased the center hub diameter. All 70 and later rotors use that bearing size, as does the conversion kits out there.

But you also mention that you have the 4 lug design, I am not sure if the disc brakes were offered in that design, did some searching and could not find a rotor listed thaat wasn't 5 lug. If this is the case you maybe better to look at upgarding the pads as a better option.

Edited by dsc2