Sign in to follow this  
kevin31

Headlight switch removal

Hi there,

I tried to remove the headlight switch. I checked on this thread how to do it

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=8028&highlight=Remove+headlight+switch

It says that we have to pull out theknob to turn on the lightS....but nothing came out... It stays in place. I don't want to break it :scared:

Any tips for me?

Kevin, if you reach under the dash & find the headlight switch feel the switch there is a smsll button on the switch you have to press the button fully & then pull out the knob forthe headlights & it should come all the way out. If it only come out part way, release the button & press it again & pull the knob, it should come out. Then you could remove the etainer which unscrews that holds the switch in the dash.

Mike.

Yes, it is a reach but it can be done. MY steering wheel was off and that prob made it a little easier to get at. Are you replacing it? I read reviews on the parts store replacement made by Standard Motor parts (retail <$20). A few said they had problems getting the shaft back in. I had a little problem there but nothing that a little brute force couldnt help me overcome. I think the most common thing that gets flaky on these is the rheostat dimmer.

SW928.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to remove the wire harness plug from the switch? There seems to be a clip holding the connector to the switch. I tried prying it, but I broke a corner of the retainer; it seems to be made of ceramic. Am I missing something?