Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

If you have a smart phone, you have a level

I was watching an episode of All Girls Garage the other day when they showed an app that makes your smart phone a very accurate digital level. Pretty cool!

I think the concept of the show is great; 3 cute girls who wrench on cars. Unfortunately, they desperately need a technical consultant to keep the girls from saying and doing stupid stuff.

They set the initial timing on a '69 Camaro to 35 degrees BTDC. That could have worked if they explained how they revved the engine until all the mechanical timing was in first and they were setting total timing.

One girl explained how the ring on a coil over shock is used to adjust the spring rate rather than ride height or corner weight.

Another girl told the audience that "aluminum is very porosity". Even if she used the correct form of the word, she should have qualified the statement that cast aluminum is very porous. But I think what she really meant was that aluminum is relatively soft as she was telling the audience never to use a wire brush on aluminum that has been used to clean steel as it will leave steel particles embedded in the aluminum.

Still, I'd rather watch 3 cute girls with wrenches than any 3 guys.

What is the speedo app called?

for the iphone the app is called "speedometer" and there are a few that will come up but the free one has an icon that shows a road sign in black with 75 mph - km/h. Works great and aligns/ tracks to my stand alone GPS device