Sign in to follow this  
latoracing

Racing Front Valance / Splitter

I have been searching the net this afternoon, along with this site, and haven't found alot of intrest in a "R" model valance. I have seen some air dam ideas, but nothing quite like a 65/66 bumperless front end on a '69/70. I know that there will be a bunch of opinions on modding the front end. Names like RICER, and the dreaded Elenor will come up, but there must be something a little diffrent, yet tastful to do. I have sketched some ideas, but I am not quite ready to show what I've come up with yet. Some inspiration came from the cover of Modified Mustangs and Ford, with the cover featuring the Ring Brother's Producer, and of cource, the Shelby GT 350R, and a carbon fiber splitter. I might regret opening this can of worms, but what is the general thoughts on such of a mod?

A while after I bought my 69 I bought a stock style FG valance cause the original was gone and I couldn't find a good used one at the time. Since I've been rebuilding the car I started adding an air dam to it. Since the pic below I've added a FG bumper and am molding it all together.

IMG_2185.jpg

Not sure about bumperless, but i quite like this :biggrin:

That's an awesome car. The NZV8 website says it has a 406 stroker with Yates heads, but the V8 Supercar series it competes in has a 5.0 L size limit (and looks like it may even be a sealed engine from Ford racing). The wheels are Atek 17x11 with Dunlop 280 spec racing tires. They also appear to have spec brakes to keep costs down and competition close. I couldn't find any details about how they fit those massive wheels and tires under the fenders, but it's a full blown race car so there's no telling. The series is headed to Austin, Tx in 2013 so if you live any where near there, you may want to start making plans to watch them run. Should be a blast.

That's an awesome car. The NZV8 website says it has a 406 stroker with Yates heads, but the V8 Supercar series it competes in has a 5.0 L size limit (and looks like it may even be a sealed engine from Ford racing). The wheels are Atek 17x11 with Dunlop 280 spec racing tires. They also appear to have spec brakes to keep costs down and competition close. I couldn't find any details about how they fit those massive wheels and tires under the fenders, but it's a full blown race car so there's no telling. The series is headed to Austin, Tx in 2013 so if you live any where near there, you may want to start making plans to watch them run. Should be a blast.

What about a custom type tubular front end with stock location mounting points for the suspension? With other goodies added in.

I was hesitant to post this pic, oh well, I did it any way. I have been doodling and have drawn some concept ideas on my R model valance, this is the one I keep looking at. I know that this isn't great, but it gets the point accross. I am leaning towards making it out of reinforced fiberglass, with a carbon fibre splitter, and machined supports to hold it up. I am in the works of making the mounts adjustable, and wanting to get my car to the point of starting this, but it will be a while. Ok, is it stupid, or should I continue?

Not sure about bumperless, but i quite like this :biggrin:

_origin_AUTO-2-9.jpg&sa=X&ei=t0bOUMDbLcG60QWQhYCICg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF2D3Bh0g2zrDWHCO6-lDhOjFSr9g

Who makes the nose on this car? I spoke to ring bro last week they are making the dragon kit now but i am not sold on their nose et, this yellow nose is awesome i would do this one for sure

I rember seeing this on his build, thanx for looking up the pics buening.

This bumperless look tha I am going for doesn't seem to be very popular, even on VMF, could be why there are none out there. Well, I guess I'll spend some more time attempting to draw up some more views, and if it gets to where I build it, at least it is a bolt on.

Don't forget the underside of the car, front to back! That will also mess with the aero of the car, just as much as a good front spoiler.

When I get my car back from the shop, I plan on making a front diffuser (underside of the engine) and a rear diffuser. Only about half way there and won't be 100% functional because of it.

AND.. it can help improve MPGs! lol