Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Top end build

Hey Guys,

Looking for some input. Currently deployed, own 69 coupe and looking to do something with the top end when i return. I dont want to invest a great deal of time and may be farming this one out as i just want to get the car on the road after 4 years of owning. I want to have fun with it when i return. So what are your suggestions on top ends/cam heads etc. I would like a decent setup without fitment issues and something that will work together nicely. I am considering the Eddie top end kits b/c at this point i know it has been tried and tested, i also like the price. But again open for suggestions on setups that are compatible. Currently stock heads, weiand stealth intake and holly 750 carb, FMX trans and stock reared. I like the 400hp range. Planning on headers and exhaust as well, before you say that. Thanks in advance

Where you deployed to? I've been all over the middle east and kind of all over the world in the Marine Corps.

--------------

What kind of headers?

What engine?

You basically have a good base in mind already. Are you saying 400 BHP or WHP? Good difference there.

Sorry 351W. As far a deployment Mobilized now heading to Afghanistan shortly. Would like to see 400 at the wheel without and major work other that what was mentioned if possible. Im not looking into trans or rearend work.

As far as headers probably leaning towards Hooker comp ceramic. Shorty

Edited by hawkdriver

For max power I'd go Doug Try-Ys or FPA 4 tubes if you want to spend the money.

I'd say Ford Z heads, Edelbrock performer RPM cams with all the best supporting parts (hydraulic roller lifters, etc, etc), under drive pulley set, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake mani, electric fan(s), MSD 6AL, a really good distributor, etc, etc, etc... you get the point.

After that it's just about getting the little things together. That auto trans is really going to rob you of power. I'd say, before you do anything big and crazy, you look into a proper manual trans. 5 speed should be good, I'm looking to get a 6 speed, personally. Proper gearing will help a TON as well as drop weight, which will make a nice difference in feel of the car as well as not rob you of a ton of power like an auto trans.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

400 at the wheels is a pretty tall order for a 351, through an FMX. You're going to have to spend some coin on a set of heads to net that much power, but it could probably be done. Another thing you need to look at is the condition of the FMX. First let's assume it's in good shape, and will hold the near 500 hp that engine will have to make. You will need to spend some money on a good converter, or the car will be a complete dog down low, so factor that in.

I would consider the FMX suspect for carnage though. Who knows though? Some of them have held up well.

Now for making the power, the Edelbrock top end kit isn't going to get you close to 400 at the wheels, on a 351. The brand of heads can start a whole other debate, and everyone has their own opinion. If it were me, I'd go with a set of Twisted Wedge 185s, Victor Jr intake, and call Bullet for a camshaft. When it's apart and you see exactly what you have, get the heads milled to bump the compression to closer to 10:1, and it'll help you get closer to that hp goal.

That's a start at what you're looking at, but to make that much power, it'll need to be a complete package.....ie. good exhaust, good ignition, good carburetor.

hawk,

Here is my build I finished last year as a guideline. My block is a roller block so that will help me out some over yours. Dynoed at ~430/430 at the flywheel. I would say if you really want 400 at the wheels, do a similiar build to whats mentioned above (or mine) then add a NOS shot to get you the rest of the way.

By the way, I'm at about 1 year and counting until my next deployment to Afghanistan. Maybe our paths will cross over there!

351w (357w) F4TE roller block from a Ford Lightning

RHS 200 aluminum heads

Comp Cams XE274HR-12; specs on website

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-518-8/

Holley 650dp w/ mechanical advance and manual choke

RPM Air-Gap Intake

hyper pistons

stock crank/rods

arp throughout

Moroso oil pan

MSD Ready to Run dist

1.6 rr's

~10.5 comp

That sounds like a great build. That'd get you 350ish at the tires, through the FMX, and save you some money. You could also use your Stealth intake, because it's similar to the Air Gap, and I'm a fan of RHS heads for a solid budget type head.

You'll still need a converter, but that's a good, streetable combo, that's a little short of your goals, but I bet you'd be surprised by its capabilities.

dyno screen shot attached. If you are going with a NOS Shot, then I would look into forged pistons. I just got the hypers to save $$ and weight...no NOS in my future.

Edited by cavboy78

dyno screen shot attached. If you are going with a NOS Shot, then I would look into forged pistons. I just got the hypers to save weight...no NOS in my future.

Damn, that's strong looking. How much weight did the pistons save? Must rev smooth and fast.