Sign in to follow this  
cobra3073

Another "Shaker" Question

I've done a search and have not been able to find the answer to my specific question.

As some of you may know, I recently acquired an F-Coded 1969 Mach 1 that I am installing a 428CJ and C6 into. As part of that exercise, I am planning on installing a Shaker system.

In doing my research, it appears that the "metal" base is not available unless one is willing to pay what I believe is a rather extravagant price for a non-show type Mustang. I understand there are fiberglass bases available from several sources but my "Restorer" is of the opinion that those tend to melt or otherwise have problems. I am also aware of the Aussie Conversion Rings which seems to be a reasonable option.

For you who have personally gone through this exercise, could you please post up with your experiences with one or both options.

Thanks!

BT

Well, the fiberglass reproductions are not going to melt. I have not used one, but I'm quite sure they would be just fine. They do have some other issues though. They have no provision for the driver side valve cover breather tube. And nor do they have a provision for the air cleaner base snorkel.

SEMO Classic Mustang has a metal reproduction air cleaner base with the metal breather vent tube, correct for 69, and an air filter with lid for under a grand. You won't find a better deal without stealing one IMHO. I plan to buy this unit in the near future. Bruce

As a Resto-Mod application, neither of those "issues" are a priority for my current vision for the 1969 Mach 1, so the fiber glass option just might work for me.

Have any of you utilized the Aussie "conversion ring" solution?

Thanks!

BT

I used the Aussie ring on my 351c shaker conversion and I have no complaints. Looks like a good quality part and fits the stock air cleaner pan nicely. And of course it's metal. I did have to modify my air cleaner height to get the scoop at the right level and profile but probably because I am using Edelbrock carb and manifold. I would recommend the Aussie ring as an alternative to the fiberglass pan in a heartbeat.

I used the Aussie ring on my 351c shaker conversion and I have no complaints. Looks like a good quality part and fits the stock air cleaner pan nicely. And of course it's metal. I did have to modify my air cleaner height to get the scoop at the right level and profile but probably because I am using Edelbrock carb and manifold. I would recommend the Aussie ring as an alternative to the fiberglass pan in a heartbeat.

That is another issue that I am concerned with as I am using the Dove Performance Parts Single Plane Manifold for Medium Riser Heads (DOVE-9424-C) and it appears to sit a bit higher than the stock 428CJ/SCJ intake.

I am currently utilizing a non-stock air cleaner ( I actually have the motor in a '73 Mach 1) so I guess I need to try and "round up" the appropriate stock metal base if I am going to try and use the conversion ring. This is probably on their Site, but do you recall the diameter of the conversion ring and does it come in different diameters?

Thanks again for the inputs, Folks!

BT

I also have the Aussie Shaker Ring, but won't get around to messing with it until mid part of next year when I begin the mock-up of parts I have acquired......engine, trans, etc. That said, does anybody know of an existing source for Ford factory air cleaner dimensions?

I also have the Aussie Shaker Ring, but won't get around to messing with it until mid part of next year when I begin the mock-up of parts I have acquired......engine, trans, etc. That said, does anybody know of an existing source for Ford factory air cleaner dimensions?

GREAT question!

According to the 429 Mega Site, the dimensions for the base air cleaner on a ram-air 429 are:

18 1/4" on the top

17 1/2" on the bottom

3 1/4" deep

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/raacj.jpg

I would think the others (351s and 428) would be pretty close to the top diameter listed above.

What is the diameter of your conversion ring?

BT

I believe the ring fits the 18.750 diameter air cleaner. However, I have an RPM airgap intake and some adjustments will need to be made to utilize the shaker. I have ordered some 1/2" drop engine mounts, but that alone won't cut it. A lower air cleaner pan might help out, thus the request for the dimensions. Wow, 3 1/4 depth, that is substantially lower than what I'm finding on most air cleaner pans. Thanks!!!

Just a quick note, as I scrounged a factory ford air filter base today and wanted to see how the conversion ring fit on the base. The air filter was off a late 60's to early 70 302 2V and measured 17.250 OD and 17.00 ID. The OD is the rolled flange at the top of the air filter base measured from edge to edge. The adapter ring fit perfect sliding right inside this air cleaner pan. If I need to lower the scoop (running RPM Airgap intake as stated above), I'm thinking I may be able to cut up to 1/2" off the top of this air filter pan. As my luck goes though, I'm still looking at a headache. My saying, "what can go wrong, always goes wrong".

I did find a source for the dimensions of Classic Mustangs' air cleaners. It is the "Mustang 1964 1/2 - 1973 Restoration Guide", page 180. Some of the particulars:

69 & 70 GT 350/500 18" diameter and 4.98" high

68 & 69 428CJ 16.79" diameter and 3.66" high

69 390GT and Boss 302 Same as above

69 351 w/Ram Air 18.83" diameter 6.14" high w/door in cover

70 351W 2V w/Ram Air Same as above

69 390GT w/Ram Air 18.83" diameter 5.82" high w/door in cover

69/70 428CJ w/Ram Air 18.83" diameter 5.50" high

70 302/351W 2V 17.84" diameter 4.20" high

As I input this data, I am thinking that the ram air information probably includes more than just the height of the base:rolleyes:.

The data for the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs is also listed on Page 401.

Oh well!

BT

Hey ya'all where can one go to purchase the aussie ring? and how come its named a aussie ring?

It is made my an Australian company.

Here is a link to their Home Page:

http://www.fomoco.com.au/Shop/

Once you log into the Site. Do a "Search" in the search function for "Shaker Bowl Ring."

BT

Edited by cobra3073

Just a quick note, as I scrounged a factory ford air filter base today and wanted to see how the conversion ring fit on the base. The air filter was off a late 60's to early 70 302 2V and measured 17.250 OD and 17.00 ID. The OD is the rolled flange at the top of the air filter base measured from edge to edge. The adapter ring fit perfect sliding right inside this air cleaner pan. If I need to lower the scoop (running RPM Airgap intake as stated above), I'm thinking I may be able to cut up to 1/2" off the top of this air filter pan. As my luck goes though, I'm still looking at a headache. My saying, "what can go wrong, always goes wrong".

Since the Aussie Site makes reference to the ring fitting a "standard 17" base, I am thinking a base may be readily available from the Aussie's also...at least it makes sense to me.

Apparently a lot of their Ford products use this "standard" base.

The quest continues!

BT

GREAT post!

Can you post up a couple of pictures showing how the adapter ring fit into the air cleaner pan you "scrounged?"

I particularly like the idea of the ring fitting inside the pan as I am looking at utilizing my single plane intake on my 428CJ motor for my swap.

Thanks!

BT

GREAT post!

Can you post up a couple of pictures showing how the adapter ring fit into the air cleaner pan you "scrounged?"

I particularly like the idea of the ring fitting inside the pan as I am looking at utilizing my single plane intake on my 428CJ motor for my swap.

Thanks!

BT

Yeah sure.....maybe this Saturday though. I'm swamped with stuff till the weekend.

That looks like a good alternative to high prices or tight budget. So this rings fits the stock base with a little work? I choose metal over fiberglass any day of the week. Ive been thinking of shaker but it seems a high premium when you have a plain stock scoop already on your stang. The ring looks promising for a DD.