Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerfan

N00B starting problems

Hey gang! I've been lurking around here for a bit, and wanted to thank you all for the great information you are sharing with me!

I recently acquired this 1969 convertible with a 2bbl 302, automatic with power top, power steering, power brakes and factory air. She runs nice, but I am having a problem getting her started. I took a video of me starting it up, hoping that you more experienced folks could take a listen and tell me where I should start troubleshooting. Does the carb sound like it needs adjusted? Timing? Coil? Starter? :helpsmilie:

Take a moment to look at the video, and thanks for your help! Also, anything else you notice I should do?

How are you starting it? Unlike modern fuel injected cars, these cars you need to pump the gas several times to engage the choke and get some gas in it. Then hold the gas pedal 1/2 way down until it starts. Then the choke should hold the idle higher until it is warmed up a little. Also, when was the last time the plugs, cap, and rotor were changed, what's the timing set at, and how old is the gas and fuel filter? We can better answer your problem after you answer these questions.

Edited by jholmes217

How are you starting it? Unlike modern fuel injected cars, these cars you need to pump the gas several times to engage the choke and get some gas in it. Then hold the gas pedal 1/2 way down until it starts. Then the choke should hold the idle higher until it is warmed up a little. Also, when was the last time the plugs, cap, and rotor were changed, what's the timing set at, and how old is the gas and fuel filter? We can better answer your problem after you answer these questions.

Thanks for the response!

The gas is new. The fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor have been replaced within the last two months. Not sure about the timing (I need to get a light).

It is like this every time I start it, and makes me nervous that I'm going to wear out the starter.

Anything else you need from me?

Sounds like there are several issues. I think you have a choke pull off issue and a retarded timing issue. When it is cold and it finally starts, it sounds like it's flooded. Are you getting black smoke when it finally starts? If so the choke has an issue and is not opening enough causing a rich burn condition. Does the choke open all the way once the engine is warmed up? If not it is adjusted in correctly or broken.

Looked at the video and snagged several pics for you to look at. With the choke pull off, it is supposed to get sucked down by vacuum when the engine starts to crack the choke open a tad so it won't flood and or run rich, see first pic.

On the second pic you can see the cam that is supposed to open the choke when the engine starts. It's hard to tell in the video, but it doesn't look like it's working. Take a look at that and see what is going. Bruce

As Linden said I think you possibly have problems with the choke supplying too much fuel and there is a timing issue. As said check for black smoke upon starting which will mean too much fuel. But it could also be a lack of fuel as cold engines need more fuel as it does not atomise very well under cold conditions. Lack of timing will also cause this problem and may explain the lack of throttle response. Also try a little throttle, about 1/4 when cranking which may help it start if it is getting too much fuel.

A word of advice, never crank an engine for more than 5 or so seconds. Crank the engine for 5 then stop for 10 seconds, giving things a little time to cool then try again.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm hoping to get a timing light soon and check that out, as well as adjust the carburetor. I did go out today and pump the gas three times. Sh started right up! After driving for a while and then turning her off, it took a couple of tries to start, but she finally did.

Now, to figure out why she won't go into reverse without goosing the engine....

That could be low fluid levels in the transmission. Does the fluid look bright red or very dark red? Does the fluid have a burnt smell? B

The level is fine, and is a nice bright red (tranny fluid was changed not long before I took possession). Smells like tranny fluid. Would adjusting the low/reverse band help?