Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Yup, she was pissed...

I really can't complain. I have all the parts from a 1970 Mach 1 in my basement. Mrs. Klutch doesn't mind as long as I keep it neat and don't spew oil everywhere, or something. I bought some nice, heavy duty shelves at Costco and put most of my parts on those.

But I think putting freshly painted fenders on the guest bed just might get a rise from Mrs. Klutch.

Many years ago...

Wife went to work and as she was leaving I was under the hood "just" to pull the valve covers off to clean & re-paint them. By the time she got home that afternoon I had the engine out and torn down to the short block on the kitchen counter. I couldn't help myself -- seemed like every part I pulled exposed one that needed some paint and cleaning.

The icing on the cake was a "little" Ford Blue on some of her towels and a dish or two. I guess the kitchen doesn't count as a paint barn. :tongue_smilie:

In a word - she was not amused.

This time around -- I am not allowed to paint in the house. :thumbup1:

I like the look- the red really wakes the room up. Now I need to dress up the garage more like a bedroom for the car- or figure out how to put a garage door in the guest room for the stang- (but I have 2- so how do I figure out if they need seperate rooms? or can share)

I like the look- the red really wakes the room up. Now I need to dress up the garage more like a bedroom for the car- or figure out how to put a garage door in the guest room for the stang- (but I have 2- so how do I figure out if they need seperate rooms? or can share)

i have that same problem 2 stangs but a second floor guest room

Many years ago...

Wife went to work and as she was leaving I was under the hood "just" to pull the valve covers off to clean & re-paint them. By the time she got home that afternoon I had the engine out and torn down to the short block on the kitchen counter. I couldn't help myself -- seemed like every part I pulled exposed one that needed some paint and cleaning.

The icing on the cake was a "little" Ford Blue on some of her towels and a dish or two. I guess the kitchen doesn't count as a paint barn. :tongue_smilie:

In a word - she was not amused.

This time around -- I am not allowed to paint in the house. :thumbup1:

Nice work, that's what I'm talking about. Painting in the kitchen is a fantastic example of the "spirit" of this post. :tongue_smilie:

it probably is a good idea if you tell your wife you forgive her for the way she decorated that room in the first place.

i would try to cover it up with parts and fenders too if i had a room like that.

I told her what you said, you validated everything I've been telling her. I figure since I get 10 of the 12 garage stalls she can have that room and her sewing room, at least when I'm not using it for more important stuff. BTW, I have an aluminum Buddy Bar 351W intake manifold in her sewing room along with my shaker. HAHA.

Edited by very fat and very dumb

My Dad did something similar. He was restoring his 29 Model A and got the Fenders and running boards back from paint. He needed a safe place to store them so he laid them out in the living room, right on the carpet. (it was just them since all of us kids moved out by then) Mom was not happy with that one!!

He also tried to paint some parts in the basement, smell got all throughout the house, overspray on some stuff she had stored down thier. I learned a lot of what not to do from him, I don't think my wife would be as understanding as my mom!!

My wife came home to me in our bedroom up a ladder with a bed/bedroom covered in my Mach 1 interior including all the glass. I was storing them in the roof area of our walk-in robe. She wasn't impressed. But she doesn't like the car so really it just made things worse. They are all still in there though :shifty:

She dishes out just as much horse stuff to me. As long as I don't complain about her stuff, it "should" give her no reason to complain about mine. "Should" being the choice of words there :huh:

My Dad did something similar. He was restoring his 29 Model A and got the Fenders and running boards back from paint. He needed a safe place to store them so he laid them out in the living room, right on the carpet. (it was just them since all of us kids moved out by then) Mom was not happy with that one!!

He also tried to paint some parts in the basement, smell got all throughout the house, overspray on some stuff she had stored down thier. I learned a lot of what not to do from him, I don't think my wife would be as understanding as my mom!!

I know what you mean about smells going through the whole house. I learned the hard way not to rinse off Chemdip carburator cleaner in the kitchen sink! It took several days for that smell to go away!

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Would this be a good sticky?

Describe your "moments" that you might wish you could do over. Perhaps you subscribe to the theory it's always better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

You could have told her its her xmas present..That would go down really well.lol..My moment was when i just finnished renovations on the house.Which i did for my lovely wife really....As for myself i could live in a barn if i had to.But anyway just after spending a bucket load of cash she decided she wanted a new front fence aswell.Not just any fence this one had stone pillars and wrought iron and a price tag of 12k.I looked at her and said let me think about it a while.A few weeks later i pulled up out the front with a mustang on the trailer,I went inside and told her i got her a front fence..Well she quite pissed about it for a while(understatement).But dayum it felt good lol..A victory for all men across the globe..Say "NO" to hen pecking..lol..lol..

Edited by 9RO1M

hahaha when rebuilding my toploader last year, there was a step or two that required some heat and wd40. The best way to heat up a bearing is by putting it in the oven for 20 minutes, of course! I might have left a bit of grease on the bearing, so the oven kind of smelled a bit after that. Now, put this hot bearing on the wd40-coated input shaft of the transmission (which is on the kitchen floor, of course) and it really adds some nice flavors to the ambient air :)

My kitchen smelled pretty funky for a day. Good thing she didn't see the car parts in the dishwasher.

I guess I am lucky. My wife bought me my 1969 Mach 1. She knows I am a car guy and is supportive. Goes to the shows with me and I do things she likes in return travel fancy dinners etc... Give and take. We both are doing well in our respective careers and I guess being married to a Dermatologist with her own practice has its benefits.

I did this while my wife was out of town and I was cleaning the garage floor and prepping it for epoxy.

This is the kitchen table.

9b4a5658.jpg

When I didn't get it all put back in time I asked her to stay out of town a few extra days.

Gotta admit too I guess I got lucky too. When we moved to our house 2 years ago there was an empty un-remodeled 15x15 room in the basement. I was able to talk the wife into letting me have it. Make it nice to work down there in the winter vs the garage.

So what did I do? Built 4 tall shelving all the way around the room - over 200 ft of shelving, and a free standing walk around 6'x4' workbench in the middle. Then added a utility tub and lots of lights. So now its the Mustang room....lol.....and as long as I keep it all in there - I'm not in trouble.